Douglas is gone

Old 12-30-17, 11:15 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Douglas is gone

I had to take Douglas to the doctor today. He had been eating less and less but peeing more and more. Having trouble walking and he fell off the chair twice in the previous twelve hours. The doctor said his kidneys were greatly enlarged (he's had kidney disease for several years) and he had a heart arrhythmia that could have caused a decreased blood flow to the brain, causing him to faint. In addition he had a non-treatable form of hyperthyroidism which made his other ailments worse.

He was my best friend for more than fifteen years. I'll never get over it. I wanted him to live at least til his twentieth birthday which would have been this upcoming spring.

My health isn't much better.

Old 12-30-17, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 134 Posts
So sorry to hear this! I know what this feels like and it's horrible.

Old 12-30-17, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 296 Posts
Very sorry to hear that Furd. We all love our furry friends and I'm sure Douglas was a special guy.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 12-30-17 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-30-17, 12:33 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
RIP.
Know you will miss him.

RR

Old 12-30-17, 01:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Hate that for you Joel, we lost both of our old cats this year. They were a few yrs younger than Douglas. I believe the first one had a massive heart attack as it appeared to have died in mid stride. The other slowed down and wasn't eating much when it disappeared. I never have found it but assume it wandered off into the woods to die. BUT we got 2 kittens and while I'm not much of a cat person the smaller one is my little buddy. She 'leads' me across the property with her head turned to make sure I don't turn off.

Old 12-30-17, 06:51 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Joel, I feel your pain. Deciding it is time and then taking them in has to be one of the most difficult events in any pet lovers life. I've done it 3 times and fell apart each time.
Strength,
Bud

Old 12-31-17, 01:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 5 Posts
Furd,

I am so very sorry to hear this...it is never easy to make that decision, but you loved Douglas and you did the best thing for him. <3 (((HUGS))) <3

May these poems help you in your time of loss, as they have helped me for so many years...

Many Blessings and Prayers,
[IMG]

[/IMG]

Old 12-31-17, 04:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Sorry for your loss, we have lost both are cats last year.. Been almost a year now and we still look for them.

Old 12-31-17, 04:21 AM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
Very sorry to hear this, Furd. I'd been through it too many times, and told my wife the last time that we were not having any more pets. The irony though is that every one of the over a dozen cats and dogs I have had over the years were abandoned, and I literally brought them in off the street, so I guess I can't really say I won't until I see what God presents us with. The last one was a little kitten that I picked up one early morning in the middle of our two-track, probably a half mile from the nearest house, so small and weak that I drove it back home curled up in the palm of my hand. My wife took her to the vet right away, and she was so dirty and weak that the vet nicknamed her Typhoid Mary, but she bounced back, and was a member of our family for about 14 years. It's a bond that some people get and some don't, and I almost feel sorry for those who don't. Your home will have a vacancy, but your heart won't, and you'll still grin as you remember that bond.

Old 12-31-17, 04:22 AM
Received 354 Votes on 319 Posts
I'd like to add my sympathies to the others. No one can quite feel the same empathy for the loss of a loved pet except the actual owner. But most of us do understand.

I always think in terms of the pets intended life span and how they are meant to comfort us and we them. But only for the intended time that they are meant to be with us.

There is a reason they we out live our pets by such a long time. What that reason is I don't know. But I'm comforted knowing that we provide for their well being for our happiness while they are with us.

Old 12-31-17, 06:21 AM
F
Thank you for all the kind words.

ALL my companion animals over the years have been rescued. Most of them simply came to my home and I welcomed them with open arms. Douglas I adopted from a shelter. He was about 3 to 3-1/2 years old and the story was that he had been roaming the streets of Tacoma, a city about 30 miles south of Seattle. The suggestion was made that his people had moved and left him behind but I could never fully accept that. He was a beautiful cat along with being very friendly and loyal. I just couldn't (and never will be able to) accept the idea that anyone could just "throw away" such a wonderful friend.

Most of the cats that adopted me over the years lived to be at least 10 years old. I never skimped on veterinary services, indeed, the first reprimand I received on this forum was because I took someone to task because they had taken in a stray but did NOT want to take the animal to the vet when it was obviously sick.

Attached Images  
Old 12-31-17, 07:11 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 58 Votes on 49 Posts
Furd, I also want to express my sorrow for your loss. I have a miniature Schnauzer that will be 9 next month. We got her from the shelter at 11 moths old. I already get pretty upset when I think about that time. I just dont know how I am going to deal with that when the time comes. I cant fully imagine how deeply this will affect me or for how long.

I wish you the best......

Old 12-31-17, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I don't have any words Joel...I feel for you. I miss my big guy Shadow every day, even though it's been almost 5 yrs. Rascal does his best, but his personality and temperament are different.

Old 12-31-17, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 296 Posts
That is one super looking cat!!

Old 12-31-17, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 134 Posts
He was a beautiful cat!
I've always had a pet, and all kinds. I remember and miss them all, no matter how long ago I lost them.

Old 12-31-17, 09:31 AM
Received 354 Votes on 319 Posts
Think of this way. You have great memories.

I make fun of cat owners, all in jest, but I although I'm not a cat lover, I do think they are cute. My son has one and thinks the world of it.

I'm thinking about another dog, but the Mrs's and I have different thoughts. I want a big dog, German shep or another Border Collie (our last dog). She wants a smaller dog she can handle. She says she's the one that will have to take care of the dog when needs occur. I can't refute that. But a small dog just doesn't cut it. I need a large dog that can I wrestle with and have a real tug of war with a rag. A large dog that looks imposing but is a cream puff at heart. One who looks mean but can't hurt a fly. And although I don't dislike a small dog, all I can think about is where to stick a broom stick and use it as a mop. A bit too graphic? Sorry.

Old 01-01-18, 01:45 PM
B
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Oh Joel, that is so difficult. I had my last dog for 12 years and when he passed I had to get another one asap. Luckily I found an almost twin at a shelter in Hinkley less than a month later.

People married and maybe with children at home they love the pet I'm sure but to me the pet is the home. Being retired and single my dog is my best little buddy.

Elderly friend of mine, may he rest in peace, was never married and never had a pet which I never understood. How he could walk in that empty house every day just boggles my mind but then again maybe he never had pets as a kid. I don't know.

Best of luck to you, find another little buddy.

Old 01-01-18, 07:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
I am typing this with tears streaming down my cheeks thinking about how hard it was to lose our dog a few years ago. Remember the good times you had together. It certainly isn't easy to lose the truest friends.

Old 01-01-18, 09:04 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
So sorry Furd. Losing friends is the hardest thing I can think of.

Old 01-02-18, 07:11 AM
F
Here are a few more pictures.

The shelter picture I fell in love with. I couldn't see that he was a fuzzy cat in this picture.

Attached Images  
Old 01-02-18, 07:16 AM
F
About ten years ago...........................................................

Attached Images  
Old 01-02-18, 07:22 AM
F
Why I sometimes had trouble posting.

Attached Images  
Old 01-02-18, 07:35 AM
F
I still have Squirmy but he is not anything like Douglas or even Toby was. Squirmy does sleep with me but he is also the squirmiest cat I have ever known. He's a good kitty when asleep but the trouble is, he doesn't sleep all that much. I've had him checked for hyperthyroidism and it came back normal. Nor will he let me clip his finger and toe nails. Needle sharp on the front and he likes to "claudie" them into my skin. He also has the annoying habit of putting his butt in my face.

Now my thought for the day. I knew that Douglas was on borrowed time, I knew that the chances of him living to 20 were slim and grew slimmer every day. I knew when the end was near for each of my parents but it still didn't make a bit of difference when each of them died. No matter how much you expect it, or think you are prepared for a loved one to die, you're not. It hits you hard and you cannot "just get over it". it takes time, lots of time and even then you NEVER get over it, you just come to accept it.

I "lost" my younger brother when I was in my mid-thirties to a car accident. I never thought I was all that close with Michael but now more than thirty years later I still can't go more than a day or two without thinking about him, I "lost" my best human friend about four years ago and I can't go a day without thinking of Bert.

So, hold close the ones you love and tell them that you love them. For someday they will be gone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: