My front yard. Hawk trying to get sparrows in bushes

Old 03-15-18, 01:40 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
My front yard. Hawk trying to get sparrows in bushes

This afternoon I saw this from my front window. The best pics I could get from my outdoor cam. Last pic is through the window screen

It seems that she was looking to get the sparrows roosting in the bushes.

When I went outside to get a clear pic she flew off.

Name:  snapshot_78A5DD046F6C_20180315144221.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  snapshot_78A5DD046F6C_20180315144750.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  54.6 KB

Attachment 91572

Attachment 91573

Attached Images  
Old 03-15-18, 02:08 PM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
Great photos. Hawks have to eat, too.

Old 03-15-18, 02:21 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
A few years back we watched a red cardinals nest right outside one of our front windows. 4 eggs and then 4 wobbly chicks. Then came home to find pieces of those chicks on the front steps. Unknown what got them but suspect a hawk of some type. At least the next year the cardinals were back but selected a bigger tree. I following years more cardinals have been spotted so they may be having success somewhere close by.

Nice pictures, big hawk.

Bud

Old 03-15-18, 03:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
That is very cool.

About ten years ago I was relaxing and floating in the boat on my koi pond. A hawk swooped down and grabbed one of my best fish. My first reaction was "son of a..." and then "that was really cool" to have a hawk swoop in and catch a fish 50 feet from me.

Old 03-16-18, 12:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Gorgeous shots considering...I love watching raptors.

Old 03-16-18, 06:15 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Hawks are amazing. Making a serious comeback here in Northeast. Pilot- that hawk was watching you and the koi; when both of you were in the correct position, it swooped. Good thing they don't get real big...

Some years ago I was in my tree stand during archery deer season when I saw a hawk swooping down the mountain, through and among trees, brush, saplings at a high rate of speed. It went right by me, within feet but below me so it was about 10' off the ground. Silent but for a swoosh of air as it went past. Maneuvered around obstacles at that high rate of speed effortlessly.

Old 03-16-18, 08:08 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Reminds me a of story my daughter told a few years ago. She's veterinarian in Pennsylvania. This story is sad but I have a warped sense of humor. This client brought in her small dog for a procedure. That same day the women calls my daughter in tears saying she let the dog outside for a minute and a hawk swooped down and took it. When she told me I was horrified but then I could only laugh at the situation. I know, I'm going to hell! My daughter did not know what to say. All she could do is explain to the woman that the animal kingdom can sometimes be very cruel in our eyes but it's only nature do it's thing. Moral of the story is be careful with small animals. Anything bigger will consider them to be food.

Old 03-16-18, 09:11 AM
B
I care for 2 mini-dachshunds and keep them inside a 30x40 fenced in area in back. But the coyotes are frequent visitors and leave their markings all around my house. Tracks in the snow are the dead giveaway. I keep a loaded 22 right beside my back door so I can protect the little girls during a late night potty run. That becomes especially concerning this time of year when my 4' fence has 2' of snow up against it. Plus that fence is of little value to protect against a big owl or hawk.

Bud

Old 03-19-18, 09:50 AM
B
Just saw a couple of the red squirrels that have been out playing across the frozen snow, easy to see them with the white background. Anyway they went ripping across through the woods with a bird right on their tail. I assumed it was a hawk but then more birds followed and some from the side of my house joined the activity, they were Robins. That was confusing as I've never heard of Robins going after a squirrel.

After pondering it a bit, I think the first bird was a hawk and the flock of Robins took off in pursuit of that hawk. The bird on bird world is strange and smaller birds will often go after predator birds.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: