supplements, omega 3's for dogs

Old 10-09-18, 09:02 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
supplements, omega 3's for dogs

I have wasted more time and money than I like to think about trying to add Omega-3's and glucosamine to my dogs food.

Honestly I was not, am not, a 100% believer in supplements for humans or dogs...but I read up as much as I could and it seems the Omega 3's may be a valid supplement for dogs.

My 8 year old pitty has some arthritis, the vet recommended supplements, and other pain relievers when, if, needed.

He has hated most of what I have tried! So for the sake of KISS, any suggestions for Omega 3 supplements for dogs? I've tried Free Form which is a capsule you snip off the top and squirt the liquid into the food and Alaskan Omega 3 fish oil chews.

I keep changing his canned food, changing his kibble, changing his supplements, driving myself crazy!

I know you are not supposed to change your dogs kibble or canned food....but I do...and they seem to have strong stomachs, there is never any GI issues....just a matter of finding food they like. I swear they can be pickier eaters than the "traditional" cat!

I think I find a kibble or canned food they like, give it a few days, they gobble it up, then try adding the supplements, then it's fergedaboutit....they wont eat it!

Sorry for the rant, this is driving me crazy.

Old 10-09-18, 09:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Fish oil tastes terrible - if you've ever taken it and the burped, you know what I'm talking about.

The only way I've ever been consistently able to get dogs to swallow capsules or tablets is to hold their mouth open and put the tablet in the back of their mouth where they pretty much have no choice but to swallow it. They don't care for this, either.

Old 10-10-18, 01:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Sorry you keep having issues giving Omega 3s and other supplements to your dogs. I can honestly tell you they do work.

What I would suggest is checking on some of the "Pet Store" sites and finding a product that is specifically for dogs in a liquid or else a treat form. The liquid forms can have flavours and that is often enough to cover the picky eaters. The only other thing I can suggest is trying to coat Frozen fish oil softgels in peanut butter and getting them to take it that way. I used to do that with my really picky eater.

No worries about the rant, we all have our needs to get stuff out sometimes.

Do keep us posted in your quest...I'd love to hear of other ways people get the Omega 3s into their pets.

Old 10-10-18, 04:57 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
My 10 year old mini Schnauzer has had arthritis for a couple of years now. When I talked to the vet about it, I asked about "Milk Bone Good Morning" joint supplement & she said that was fine. I give one every morning (she gets a real mini milk bone in the evening). I have had a good experience for the last 1 - 2 years with this.
(Read the instructions & do NOT give more than instructed!)
If I do have an issue otherwise (if she aggravates it running, jumping & playing), I give Meloxicam that the vet prescribed, for 2 or 3 days & all is good again.

https://www.chewy.com/milk-bone-good...utm_campaign=f

Old 10-10-18, 10:08 AM
B
I know...I can't stand the smell of the fish oil and sometimes get a little on my hands....yuck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I was using peanut butter and cream cheese...but was hoping for something easier...not that those suggestions are really that hard! But sometimes those didn't even work...all the peanut butter or cream cheese was gone and there was the tablet on the floor, ha ha....

I will certainly look into the Milk Bone thanks.

And holding their mouth open...been there, done that...kind of a hassle...I always think there HAS TO BE an easier way????

Old 10-11-18, 01:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
I have to admit I was lucky I guess...or have been so far. All of my canids have taken basic old Human Fish Oil gels as treats from the time they were puppies. But I've had to give regular pills on a daily basis for other health issues with some, that's where I learned the coating the things with yummy stuff.

Oh and another note...for us Hoomans...If you get 'Fish Burps' when taking your fish oil, freeze them, and take frozen. Most often you'll not get fishy burps.

Old 10-15-18, 07:42 AM
B
Follow up. I shouldn't be, but am always amazed at how perceptive dogs are.

It got to the point where the dogs would not eat any dog food I put out for them. I had my grandson put out some different canned foods with no supplements, (still trying to figure out which, if any, of the canned food they liked), they ate it all..

So next morning I put out the exact same canned food. They wouldn't touch it! They associate me fixing their food with those yucky supplements. I had to scoop out the food with my hands and put in in their mouths.....they finally ate it.

So I am backing off all supplements for a while. Not sure yet how I will try to introduce any???

I am still looking around, looking at the Milk Bone Good Morning, etc. I do appreciate all your ideas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: