cats

Old 03-07-20, 02:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 158 Posts
cats

We have a female cat that was spayed several yrs ago. For the last week there have been 3 cats hanging around the house bothering our cat. They've chased our cat thru the barn knocking stuff all of the walls/shelves, torn one of the screens on the back porch along with eating the cat's food. The latter was solved by feeding the cat in the laundry rm but what can we do about the rest?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-20, 04:54 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 16 Posts
Its probable that they are all Toms chasing your cat around even though she is spade, they are attempting to take over her territory.

If you think they belong to the neighbors, you can try talking to them (the neighbors, not the cats ). If they are not the neighbors, you can trap & relocate them or call the local cat shelter/rescue & a lot of times, they will come trap them & try to find homes for them.

Old 03-07-20, 04:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I figured they are likely tomcats. 2 of the cats look cared for but one is mighty scruffy looking. I assume they belong down in the holler somewhere but I don't know who's cats they are.

I think my wife has already talked to those cats .... does yelling count as talking

Old 03-07-20, 07:09 AM
H
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Well-

Have steak and eggs for breakfast, a cheesesteak for lunch, watch a game and drink a sixpack of beer.

Once it's dark enough that neighbors won't notice, eh.. 'mark YOUR territory" to remind those cats that the area ALREADY belongs to a large carnivore...

Old 03-08-20, 12:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with the trap and relocate suggestion if they don't belong to your neighbors, or the other option is trap/neuter/release(TNR) and adopt them(sort of) yourself. Once they're neutered/spayed, the rowdy attitudes will most likely settle down.

Do keep us posted as I wonder about things when people don't let us know

Old 03-08-20, 03:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While I was gone yesterday those cats came up harassing our cat so my wife tried to run them off [unsuccessfully] so she brought our cat inside. We have 3 exterior doors and she said those cats set up guard at each door. She was able to chase off the scruffy looking one but the others camped out for a good while. They were gone when I got home.

I would have thought spaying our cat would have stopped tomcats from hanging around Other cats come up here from time to time but this is the first time they've harassed our cat and seem to have no intention of leaving!

Old 03-08-20, 05:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
MarkSr,

I'd definitely be trapping and removing if that's the way things continue to go...

After checking with the neighbors of course...or...not.

Old 03-08-20, 06:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 83 Posts
Cats will wander around to find new territory. We often have other cats pass through our property. Some have caused conflicts with our cats and have been dealt with accordingly. I would recommend chasing them off making them know their presence is unwelcome. Nonlethal methods might be:

Shooting in the air
Airsoft gun
Paintball gun
Low powered BB gun (Red Ryder)

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 03-08-20, 07:32 AM
H
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand
Nonlethal methods might be:
Shooting in the air
Airsoft gun
Paintball gun
Low powered BB gun (Red Ryder)
Used Sriracha bottle, filled with water, makes a weak hot sauce, good squeeze on the bottle makes a stream that will reach about 15-20 feet. Good for deterring cats, skunks while also keeping distance.
The green cap from a sriracha bottle fits most soda bottles, so you CAN upgrade to a 2-3 liter squirt bottle.
If you've got a 2 story house a couple water balloons will work as well.

Old 03-08-20, 10:12 AM
C
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Several years ago we had a problem with feral cats killing birds, marking "their" territory, including inside my garage, and using our garden and flower beds as litter boxes. Fortunately we had an "old school" dog catcher at the time. He trapped them all and killed them (new speak - euthanized them). That solved the problem.

That would be impossible to do these days since cat/dog shelters have become a big business in our area. Adoption "fees" for a kitten can go as high as $300 or more.

Old 03-09-20, 02:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
We haven't seen those cats since Saturday - maybe they've decided to stay home or go somewhere else. Keeping our fingers crossed

Adoption "fees" for a kitten can go as high as $300 or more.
Wow, who would pay that for a kitten? Locally you can get 4 cats spayed/neutered along with shots for that price.

Old 03-09-20, 05:20 AM
C
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Apparently enough people to keep these outfits in business. Several years ago my wife was looking for a kitten and we visited several of these "rescue shelters". One memorable rescuer had probably 50 cats in cages in a damp barn basement lit by a single low wattage incandescent. She wanted $250 for kittens.

We got so disgusted that we ended up going to a breeder. https://cthumane.org/adopt/benefits-and-fees/

Old 03-09-20, 05:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sadly the current "Rescue" trend is that many charge such high prices that people simply cannot afford to take home a puppy/kitten or adult pet. In many cases it is actually more of a business, which is not the way "Rescues" used to work...

Glad that the pests were not around and about...let's hope they stay that way~!!!~