Bug trap to feed chickens

Old 04-06-20, 06:50 PM
I
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Bug trap to feed chickens

We have 6 chicks we are raising right now and for during the summer I was wanting to feed them as many bugs as possible. Had anyone come up with a generic bug trap to catch a variety. Or possibly hang a bug zapper in the pen. I'm in nw Ohio. We have tons off June bugs and moths. Gonna get some Japanese beetle traps this summer as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-20, 06:07 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 22 Posts
Interesting idea. My whole career was all about keeping bugs away...

June bugs are nighttime insects but I'm thinking that you would empty the traps daily for feed. Not aware of June bug traps though. "Zappers" by my experience actually electrify and obliterate the insect. Other light traps use glue boards inside them that would render the insect useless, too.

Years ago I knew a guy that studied and "reared" moths; One of his tactics was to put up a white sheet away from his house but on a shed (coop?) wall and have a small flood light shine on the white sheet. In the early morning before birds woke up and would eat everything, he'd gather the moths he wanted. There were lots of other insects on the sheet as well. I wonder if you did that but illuminate the ground more that maybe the insects would be on the ground when the chickens leave the coop so you wouldn't have to fool with getting them off a sheet. If I remember more I'll be back.

Old 04-07-20, 06:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Isaac,
I'm with PABugman...interesting idea. I have no idea on how one would go about doing this, but...the sheet idea he suggest sounds scientifically sound... I would go out and use a butterfly net in a "busy" bug area myself...but that's just my thought.

I look forward to hearing about what you find works and doesn't...and your progress.

Old 04-07-20, 06:47 AM
M
Received 125 Votes on 116 Posts
Many years ago at the farm the best bug trap was a cow pie.
Chickens luv em.

Old 04-07-20, 07:19 AM
I
Think I could set up a small light under a globe of some sort and let the chickens catch them all night.

Old 04-07-20, 10:01 AM
I
Usually the moths go towards the light source not what the light is shining at. Unless the white sheet was bright enough to attract them to sheet and not the light itself