Will PVC / Vinyl coated fencing/panels survive underground?

Old 03-10-21, 10:24 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Will PVC / Vinyl coated fencing/panels survive underground?

So I'm working on ideas for predator prevention, and I was wondering if pvc coated cattle panels would survive underground? I want to use it to wall in a chicken run, then layer hardware cloth on top for small rodent protection. My design calls for burying the cloth a foot or so... and i was wondering if pvc coated cattle panel would survive being buried. The alternative is building a frame and stapling the panel to the frame, keeping it above ground... but if I can just bury and stake it my wood costs drop considerably.

Old 03-10-21, 10:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,849 Upvotes on 1,655 Posts
PVC will do just fine underground where it's protected from UV. The only issue will be pinholes letting moisture in to corrode the steel. I would guess that PVC coated fencing or hardware cloth will last longer than electro plated material.

RhainyC voted this post useful.
Old 03-10-21, 12:26 PM
A
Awesome. Thanks. I just watched around 50 vids on youtube and every one attaches galvanized panels to treated 2x6s with staples... and it seemed to me since you're burying hardware cloth anyway, why not bury the cattle panel a bit too, stake it down, and completely akip the lumber step?

My only fear was structural- that if the panel corrodes, you don't have the wood for support... but it's not like treated wood stays pristine either.

Hope I'm not wrong about this... i just realized there is a fencing forum here too, perhaps i should have asked there instead.

Old 03-10-21, 04:54 PM
P
Group Moderator
Neither construction method will last forever. 2x treated lumber is not rated for ground contact so having it right on the ground will shorten its' life. The one benefit of having a board at ground level is you can weed eat and bump along with a mower.

Old 03-11-21, 08:07 AM
A
Thanks. I might end up going with lumber anyway because my wife let me know she hates t-post fences. Which... I don't exactly disagree with. I ran some numbers and lumber will be about twice the price of staking it, plus more labor but I can swing it.

is there a better option than lumber for ground contact for a fencing project? I did see lumber rated for ground contact though I'm sure it still rots out eventually, everything does.

Old 03-11-21, 09:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
And then there are different levels of ground rated contact. Lumber treated to higher levels is available in coastal areas where it may be used in salt water. That should hold up for a very long time but you have to weigh the cost. Or, you can get inland rated ground contact as a mid priced option. And on the cheap end you use regular treated lumber knowing that in 5-10 years you'll have to do some replacing. Or, you can do all your wood work out of 4x4, 4x6 and 6x6 which are rated for ground contact and available everywhere without special order. On the plus side the chunky lumber can give a premium look to the project. You can also try synthetic deck boards in no stress areas like along the ground where all you need is something to attach the bottom edge of the fence.

RhainyC voted this post useful.
Old 03-14-21, 07:26 PM
A
Thanks for the responses! I don't know how to like forum posts here yet...

Finishing up design specs for my build, I'm interested how much materials are going to be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: