Which Is Better To Get Fixed ??

Old 05-18-21, 07:03 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which Is Better To Get Fixed ??

We are moving with 2 Dogs in tow (1 Male 1 Female) we have 2 other Females that are being Re Housed.. All 4 are Part Bichon Frise & Shih Tzu.. The Male fathered a litter each with the 3 Females.. Game plan is Fix one of the Dogs coming with us.. (1) Male because we definitely don't want anymore puppies, he tends to Mark his Territory in the house.. (2) The Female after weining her puppies has a yeast problem lose of hair (patchy) and skin rash which takes a good month to clear up.. Thoughts and Opinions Appreciated, Cheers Thanks

Old 05-18-21, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 177 Votes on 143 Posts
Both. Check out my signature.

RhainyC voted this post useful.
Old 05-18-21, 07:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 963 Votes on 884 Posts
I agree have all of them... because "accidents" happen.

RhainyC voted this post useful.
Old 05-19-21, 05:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 5 Posts
I have to agree...Fix All Of Them.

Part of responsible pet ownership(and rehoming) is making sure your pets are not able to reproduce...if cost is an issue, there are many, many programs that will help you get them all altered, at little to no cost.

Old 05-19-21, 08:42 AM
C
Received 142 Votes on 115 Posts
Should pets not be able to reproduce so that prospective pet owners have to buy them from breeders?

Old 05-19-21, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 177 Votes on 143 Posts
Did you mean NOT have to buy them from breeders? Anyway, no. Most animals not intentionally born, end up unwanted, in shelters and often euthanized or owners stupidly give them away free, where they end up in awful situations like dog fighting, as bait dogs, strays or just abused. Having your pet fixed solves this problem.
A large majority of breeders these days, abuse these poor dogs too. They treat them like crap.

Old 05-19-21, 03:19 PM
C
Received 142 Votes on 115 Posts
My response was to a post by a breeder . It struck me as do as I say not as I do. My point is that there are tons of responsible pet owners and a comment about spaying from a breeder just struck me as disingenuous.

On the other hand the spay/neuter question is complicated. For some people it's probably good advice. However, I owned dogs most of my life.They were all breed specific. None of the 3 females I owned were spayed. I limited their litters and gave the pups to friends. Like me there are millions of responsible pet owners and the Bob Barker "spay or neuter" irritates me.

Don't get me started on the "pet rescue" business.

Old 05-20-21, 05:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 5 Posts
I am totally against breeding of ANY animals that are not registered with a Recognized Purebred Associations and bred for this purpose(to begin with, see further below)....PERIOD.

I wholeheartedly do agree that SOME Breeders abuse their animals. Most though, do not. If you are being a "Responsible Pet Owner" you do NOT breed your pets. The only real reason in my honest opinion to breed is to maintain or better a presently recognized purebred.

Having said that, accidents happen, poorly bred and badly bred animals end up in shelters...we euthanize way too many animals to EVER take a chance on accidental litters.

Again, this is my personal opinion, from decades of not only working in the industry(animal control as well as legit animal rescues, not the greedy/shady/sleazy ones) as well as working as a Vet Tech for many years.

As for my comment about spay/neuter, coming from me as a breeder...

I spayed all of my animals that were not Specifically used for show/breeding programs. All of my animals were sold either as pets(with a spay/neuter contract) or to a show family/breeder who planned on showing then, if the dog/cat did well, adding that particular animal to their own breeding program. If that dog/cat did not do well, they were spayed/neutered and not bred, ever.

ETA: I worked with people financially in ways that allowed those who couldn't really afford a purebred, but wanted a healthy, well bred pet(both dogs and cats) to own one through my kennels/cattery. If a person could provide a quality home for one of my animals, but couldn't afford the full price of a pet quality purebred, I was always willing to work out some way for them to get a baby...many even for free, as long as they showed proof of ability to pay for veterinary care, and I would even pay for the spay/neuter for said pets. So my purebreds, didn't always mean I made money "selling them" to people.(end/ETA)

All of the animals I bred, were ALWAYS able to be returned to me, at ANY TIME for ANY REASON, and were never, ever to be resold/rehomed without my permission, screening of the new prospective home or sent to a shelter or rescue(even if a quality rescue).

Most people who "give pups(kittens) to friends" seldom follow those puppies throughout their whole life and are seldom willing and ready to take back those puppies(dogs) at any time throughout their lives, regardless of reasons for needing to take them back.

To "let a dog/cat have a litter to give pups/kittens to friends" is one of the reasons we have so many animals euthanized every single day.

YMMV...

Last edited by RhainyC; 05-20-21 at 05:26 PM. Reason: I forgot to add something about "Pet Homes"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: