Keeping a pet cool: alternative to a chiller?

Old 09-01-21, 08:15 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Keeping a pet cool: alternative to a chiller?

Hey ya'll. I hail all the way back to the Philippines–as most of you may know, we're a really tropical country.

I'm just looking for chiller suggestions. I currently own a cutie patootie axolotl but they need really low temps to survive. I've been managing with using ice bottles for the past few weeks but it's getting tedious.

I searched for the price of a chiller and it is very expensive. Just wondering if anyone knows an alternative to this? Thanks!

Old 09-01-21, 11:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I had to look up an axolotl as I've never heard of one before. Everything I'm reading points to a species found in Mexico. A species on the endangered list and illegal to be had in many United States.

Axolotl are a friendly, interactive aquatic pet that will give you years of enjoyment if kept properly. Fortunately, they are relatively easy to care for once they are properly housed and fed. They are shown as living in a tank.

My recommendation is to find out how others in your immediate area can sustain them.

Old 09-02-21, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Kellan Faraday,

I am hoping we have some folks more familiar with Axolotls who will respond, as I am completely in the dark here...

Old 09-02-21, 05:05 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Water alone does not suffice - something it can sit or lie in?

Old 09-03-21, 04:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Looking online it appears that an axolotl is a salamander that does not come out of the aquatic stage (IE Waterdog, mudpuppy) Instead of taking to the land, adults remain aquatic and gilled. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl

Doing what you are doing with the ice bottles is going to be the cheapest way to cool the water. However, I did a quick search for fish tank chiller and found this: https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Semi...12213566&psc=1
which I didn't think was too bad. I don't know if Amazon ships to your location.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: