Mini Aussie needs a sister

Old 04-26-23, 07:22 PM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Mini Aussie needs a sister

My wife and I have an 18 month old Mini Australian Shepard. When left alone for 2+ hours she will find something to chew on that doesn't belong to her. So we usually keep her in one room with a baby gate when we go out. My question is, if she had another dog to play with maybe another Aussie or retriever, would they both just chew on stuff or keep each other occupied?

Old 04-27-23, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Dogs that chew on things when alone either have separation anxiety or are bored with pent up energy, so likely they'd keep each other occupied. Do you have any family or close friends that have a dog you can leave with her for a couple of hours to test and see what they do when they're alone together?
I also have to ask, does she get enough exercise? That breed is very active with a lot of energy.

Old 04-27-23, 08:57 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
I can tell you unequivocally that one of two things will happen. Either the dogs will find activities to keep themselves from being bored or you'll find twice as much chewed furniture when you come home.

Old 04-27-23, 06:09 PM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
We have a good size back yard for her to run around in. I plays with her for an average of 45 min a day and she goes to doggy day care twice a week. Trying with a friend's dog does seem like a good idea. I'll ask a few mates.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: