Paw pad injury, should I be concerned?

Old 06-05-23, 05:57 PM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Paw pad injury, should I be concerned?

Noticed some minor damage to my mini Aussies paw pad. Not bleeding nor does she limp or show any signs of pain from it but I am not sure if it was a callus that rubbed off, did she cut it on something or ? Can anyone tell if this thick of a layer is okay to lose? Thanks

Old 06-05-23, 06:28 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I don't know about a dogs pad but if this was a human tissue injury, that would need a few stitches. That's pretty deep. Would probably need an inner stitch & a couple on the outside.

Seem to me like, because its on the pad, its going to be used a lot & its going to move around & not heal on its on, but again, I dont know about how it will heal or how fast it will heal. Also, its going to get dirt and "stuff" in it.
I'd think it needs a couple of stitches to close it up so it will heal.

Just my opinion.......

Old 06-05-23, 10:19 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Not sure whether stitches are needed but I would be taking her to the vet to find out.

Old 06-06-23, 06:33 PM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I guess seeing the picture is not as good as in person. It's not split open its a patch missing. Like if you were to get a callus on your hand and peel it off revealing more skin tissue beneath. What you see is not an open wound.

Old 06-07-23, 04:22 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
Maybe make an appointment for a week or two from now and simply monitor for now. If it gets better, cancel the appointment. If not, you're in their schedule book already.

Old 06-07-23, 09:11 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
My 2-year-old Collie had a raw pad during wintertime. It was on the rear section as I think this is also. You can put a sock on it and Vaseline. If it if doesn't seem to be healing, take her to a vet. In my opinion it does not look really serious.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: