ghosts?

Old 06-26-04, 12:44 PM
ghosts?

I take pics of all the jobs my company does, mostly for marketing/adverstising, sometimes for legal purposes. (Yes maam, we did paint that wall, here's a pic of me rolling it out!!!)

Anyways, all my pics are inside. I use a cheapo HP Photosmart 320. Sometimes when taking a pic, it looks real good on the preview screen, but when loaded into the pc, it appears to have bubbles floating all over the picture. Thats the best way I can describe it, like transparent or translucent bubbles floating around. I know its not the flash reflecting off anything, some have appeared without using the flash.

Any ideas what these may be?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-04, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
More info would be helpful

prowallguy,

It would help to know if you are taking the pictures at full quality, whether zoomed or not and if digital or optical zoom, if you are using red eye reduction , what software are you using to view the pictures and if you were to print the pictures do the bubbles still show up.
Do you get these same bubbles if pictures are taken in full sunlight?
Does this happen with every picture or just some?

You could look at the lens to see if you can see any marks of any kind. Take a small flashlight and move it around to see if you can catch a reflection.
It is possible for some marks to only be visible when the light hits the lens a certain way.

Old 06-26-04, 09:31 PM
if you are taking the pictures at full quality,
Happens at low, medium, and high quality
whether zoomed or not
No, I usually dont zoom, but it is a digital zoom when I do
if you are using red eye reduction
Nope
what software are you using to view the pictures
'Windows picture and fax viewer' is what opens them up from my 'my pictures' folder, and they are still there when printed
Do you get these same bubbles if pictures are taken in full sunlight?
Not that I recall, but I haven't taken many outside
Does this happen with every picture or just some?
Just some, never know when it will happen
You could look at the lens to see if you can see any marks of any kind. Take a small flashlight and move it around to see if you can catch a reflection.
I make a point of keeping the lens clean, but it does get stored in a jobsite box occasionally.

Wish I could post a pic here, its pretty weird looking stuff. I'll try to attach one here, but at only 10kb, it might be too hard to see.

Attached Images  
Old 06-26-04, 09:43 PM
I would try to clean my lenses first to remove those spots.
I always make sure its clean before shooting
If you work or use this camera in a dusty environment the dust & hair etc, could be getting inside the Camera.
How about condensation spots on the pickup, when water dries it can leave spots
Doubtful about these because I can point and shoot say 10 shots in one setting, and number 3, 6,7, and 9 might be affected, and the others fine. I can take 2 pics at exactly the same angle at the same target, and 1 might be bad while the other looks fine.
Why do you feel this way, has the camera been trouble?
No, not at all. but it was bought for less than $100, and I only got it for work pics. I wasnt looking for a high-end camera, just something low buck for work pics. It has worked fine so far, never any major problems at all, but it is aggravating to take a couple pics of a real nice job, and they look fine on the preview, only to get home, load them, and find that some are not good at all.

Old 06-27-04, 07:11 PM
prowallguy,

Maturo and I were talking today about your issue and this might help you out. I have provided a link to a project that I did a couple of years ago and it surprised me that I remembered it after being advised of your circumstances.

http://dougaphs.smugmug.com/gallery/150441/27

Please note that I too take pictures of projects that I designed and this one is just a summary of shots of what was, to what it became. If you look at pictures 10 thru 13, you'll notice the aliens! Even though these were taken with the Olympus D-370, you'll see that the camera had no problem taking good shots. The problem comes to taking shots when there is significant to partial dust floating through the air. This is really evident in taking photos with the internal flash. As this was only a 1.3 mp, it does quite well for a good point and shoot unit. Beleive me, I wanted to throw it away when I saw these!

The ones before the taping/sanding and after the drywall was sanded, of which I returned less than 4 days later, there was no problem and as you can tell, no dust! Don't throw a good camera away, regardless of what it cost but remember that a digital should be cared for better than a 35mm as it has more sensitive hardware that can destroy its ability to perform well.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-27-04, 07:35 PM
WOW Doug, does this mean your jobsites are haunted too???

Good call, I'm sure there was alot of dust in the air at those sites, who would have thought these miniscule particles would pick up a flash and appear spherical. Very interesting.

Old 06-27-04, 07:45 PM
Prowallguy,

Yep! In your business, taking a picture while the dust flies is just asking for the aliens to appear all over! You need to wait a couple of days after a good clean up. I found that my Olympus C-5050zoom (5 mp) also picks up on dust and I am not sure if using a slave flash would eliminate it all but probably allot.

I recently added a Olympus C-8080wide zoom (8 mp) to my collection as it as a wider angle than the 5050. So far I am impressed! Here's just an example, I'm still learning its features. I haven't tried it out to see what happens on dust issues.

http://dougaphs.smugmug.com/gallery/147072

Glad the info helped.

Old 06-27-04, 07:51 PM
Those are some nice pics.

I always take 'after' shots of the jobs, but still like the 'action' photos of the work being done.

And don't worry, I'm not chucking my cam just yet, lol, it suits its purpose just fine.

And also, the guy with the beard isn't me, its one of my employees. I'm much better looking than that.

Old 10-17-04, 08:41 PM
Prowallguy,

Thanks,

Glad you liked them. I will update my album this week when I get time.

I purchased the C-8080wz and if I show up on the job at the wrong time, I get the "ghosts". It's amazing the digital does get lots of things you didn't expect but regardless of the digital, I think this must be common.

I still have my 35mm Minolta Maxuum 5 and that is a great camera. It was alwasys nice to take this on job sites. You never got the "ghosts"! As you know, between film and process fees, it added up. At least with digital, no film and you can afford to make mistakes, within reason.

Later