Grainy Pictures

Old 11-25-04, 06:56 PM
Question Grainy Pictures

I have and HP 750 photosmart camera, 3.2 MP, 15xzoom. The camera takes great pics during the daytime. I do some paranormal investigating, and most of the pics I take are at night, at places with very little or no lighting. If I use the night setting, the pictures are terrible. If I use no flash and a normal setting, of course I have to increase contrast when I view them and they are really grainy. If I use auto flash, they are better, but many times, I still have that grainy appearance. I usually take them on medium (2 stars) or high quality (3 stars) settings. How can I get really nice clear pics taken at night? I wondered if increasing the EV Compensation for night pics would help. I leave the White Balance and ISO speed on "auto." I use EZViewer to view and edit photos. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-04, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
I'm afraid that there isn't much that you can do with your camera to be able to decent nite pictures.
Your camera is missing a number of manual features that are only found on more expensive digital cameras.

I couldn't find a model 750 HP but did find a 735 which is likely similar to yours.

The only thing you can really do is change the ISO setting to 400 which is an equivalent to film speed and use a tripod to eliminate shake.
You should also use the highest quality setting at all times.

In order to take pictures in the dark you need a faster equivalent film speed and the ability to manually focus the lens and adjust the shutter speed and lens opening.

Here is a review site with info on the model 735: Link

Old 11-26-04, 08:38 PM
Smile Night photos

Hello SavannahSilkie

I use 35mm film & develop into digis with a film scanner. I don't know how important the night shots are however I use either ISO 1600 or IR film with an IR flash.

With the polycarbanate bodies & lenses made by Nikon or cannon in an SLR format you can get a good setup for under $300.00. I pay 2.99 per roll for development, then use a PI 3650 Slide & film scanner to put my Negatives on disk or print to paper.

There is no magic bullet for the Digital Camera at a reasonable price today for night work. Never forget as the Digital has gotten better so to have 35mm Cameras & the film. Like they say this is not your Fathers film, not by a long shot.

Our job here in the Photo Forum is to try our best to help you help yourself so we do not hold one type of camera better than another. If you want to work at night it will be film for now, & as we learn more it will be Digital or something else. Things are changing so fast, we can not predict what's next.

Good luck in your quest, we will always be here for you.

Old 11-27-04, 08:24 AM
Thank you for your replies. Looks like I know what I'm going to ask Santa for Christmas. I'm wondering if the 35 mm film will pick up on the anomalies that are not seen with the naked eye, like digital cameras do. I am definitely an amatuer with photography, so the question may sound dumb. If you're wondering what I'm talking about, here are a couple of pics taken at night at Gettysburg, where I captured a soldier orb and a couple more with a digital cam. These were not seen with the naked eye.

Soldier Orb:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...ropsolider.jpg

Triangular Field:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...TriFld3gla.jpg

Pate

Old 11-27-04, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
I "know their out there", but I'm afraid what you are looking at is called lens flare.
If it were on a sunny day you could call it solar flare.
For pics taken in bright sunlight a lens hood would help a bit with that problem.
You could actually fashion one yourself to experiment with.
Also, I would play around with the color balance settings to see what happens.

What you really might want to try in the area of paranormal photography would be 35mm infrared film which you should be able to get at a pro camera shop.

If you google "infrared photography" you would likely find a ton of info.

Keep us posted, we'd like to hear more about it.

Old 11-27-04, 01:58 PM
Smile DeJavue

Hi,
Pate, Greg

I just noticed something we may have seen before in this next thread.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=171720 Is a Post by Doug in the thread titled Ghosts. Those same round whitish circles worse with lower pixel Cameras I believe.

Like Greg said "infrared photography" is how we cut thrugh the dark today & even if you could reduce the Ghost caused by dust, the outside world would not ever let the dust settle like a closed house would.

I just started reading my first edition 1938 ( Through the night with your camera By W. Kross . Man what the greats could do with the equipment they had to work with. I just got a Nikon SB-50DX Speedlight for my Birthday man this thing will do more tricks than both my dogs together.

So much to do, so little time yet so fun, in the doing

Old 11-27-04, 05:38 PM
Hi:

Thank you, I may have to go for the infrared. I've gotten a ton of pics with dusties in them, and moisture droplets and so forth. I literally have folders full of false positive pics, like the ones on the other post. I have to disagree with you on the the "soldier" orb pic though. That pic was taken at night with no flash and not with my camera. If you look closely, you can see his beard and his smile just above the round portion of the orb. The main clue to as what this is, is the strap across the pic. That is confederate soldier's haversack strap. This pic has been validated by the co-founder of The Atlantic Paranormal Society (TAPS.) Here's a pic of a re-enactment soldier at Gettysburg. You can see the haversack strap across his uniform. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...rtrait-big.jpg I'm not meaning to be defensive, and hope it doesn't come off that way here. Just wanted to share that with you. I know this isn't a paranormal forum, I was just wanting to know if I could capture anomalies with a 35mm versus a digital. I'll definitely go with the infrared for my night pics. I'm going back to Gettysburg in April and we'll see if I find my "ghostly" friend with it. Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited by SavannahSilkie; 11-28-04 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-27-04, 06:24 PM
Just a quickie

I took a pic with a point & shoot 35mm using 400 ISO of the excact spot where my Wifes Father was killed in a tractor accident.

It was 10am light at 6 oclock no clouds October. It could be anything chemical or light but there was a form with colors coming up from the log that fell & killed him. I took 3 shots where I stood yet it was the only one with the tree that showed the colors going up then the other 2 are clear.

We named the Pic ( Last Goobye ) I just believe the film saw something I felt, but did not see until later when they developed the film, & we scanned it.

Old 11-28-04, 02:25 AM
Smile

I'd like to see the pic. Sometimes things are too easily dismissed with a "logical" explanation. I've looked at so many "orb" pics, I couldn't possibly count them all. What I've found, is the grayish or fuzzy ones are dust, and sometimes the ones with colors, and are thin, are moisture. Usually, if it is dust or moisture droplet "orbs," there are more than one in a pic, or, there are a couple of faint ones with very little substance to them. The pics I've seen which are "spirit" orbs, illuminate on their own and there is rarely more than one in a picture. They are not easy to come by, that's for sure. Here's a pic taken in Philadelphia at Washington Square. It's a dusty moisture pic. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...multiorbs2.jpg

Here's a possible "spirit" orb, and most likely it is. This was taken at St Peters cemetery, the most "haunted" cemetery in Philly. Taken on a clear, cool night, no flash, cam on a tripod, and you can see it is in motion and it is illuminating on it's own. It's a really beautiful orb. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...6/stpetorb.jpg

Close Up of Orb:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...36/peteorb.jpg

Just wanted to show you the difference. I'll stop posting my "ghostie" pics, I don't want to over do it. Some believe, some don't. I just want a good camera, so when I get pics, they aren't as easily discounted. The more I learn about cameras and photography, the more likely I can get true positives, instead of false ones. I'm in the process of establishing an investigation team, so the more knowledge I have, the better. Thank yall so much.

Pate

Old 11-28-04, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Pate,

Although this site is not dedicated to phenomenon, I think that you have to be open to technical explanations of what you are seeing, to validate the origin of the distortion in the images.

Miguel's description of the image he captured in his photograph has a deep personal connection to him and his family and is based on his beliefs.
I'm sure it's a treasured photo.
My personal beliefs aside, while travelling, I had taken a photo of a cloud formation, where two jets had intersected and left a large cross in the sky.
Later, I found out that there had been an auto accident further down the road where a family had lost its life.

If you are assembling an investigative team I would suggest that you try to learn as much about the tool you are using so that you can interpret the results properly.

Although I can honestly say that my "belief" in the paranormal is one of cautious scepticism, I can also say I have an open mind.
If you want credibility in your results I would say that a knowlege of optics would be a great benefit.
I find the images you linked to interesting but one thing you can keep in mind is that a characteristic of lens induced distortion is that it is often circular.

And please, don't think your persuits are being dismissed here.
There is a lot to learn by this and I think that a knowlege of photography is the key to your success.

Good luck and keep us posted.