Photo Weblog Troubles

Old 12-15-04, 03:03 AM
JessAnovA04
Visiting Guest
Photo Weblog Troubles

I've been looking for a good Photoblogging service, and I'm having a hell of time finding one. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) something like but not Webshots.com - I like the simple, clean setup. I like the drill down thumbnails of albums>thumbnails of photos>photos style. I like having a title for each thumbnail. I like like having an additional captions when you view the photos one by one. (If you're not familiar with webshots, feel free to investigate mine here *please excuse the content, I'm in college)

1.2) I also like Webshots upload software (which, if you've used, is great) and the fact that they resize the photos to 800x600 (if you wan't) to save space and upload times.

1.3) I don't like the lack of customizeablility and only getting more space for the premium service.

2) I don't have time to write my own web page - or I would - I need something hosted.

3) I'm willing to pay, assuming: There are no ads like http://www.buzznet.com/ has on thier premium service & I have some customizeablility. Also, a lot of so called "photoblog" sites don't offer nearly enough space.

The reason I'm asking for suggestions is that there are a lot of sites out there, but from sample blogs, I can't really tell if they have what I want. When I hit the 2000 hit mark on Webshots and ran out of space, I decided my friends deserved something a little cooler. A lot of sample photoblogs are more blog and less album. I want more album and less blog, because I really doubt people care what I think and I doubt I care enought to keep interesting content (other than picture captions). So, most important feature I'm looking for in a hosting service is the ablity to create a clean, simple drill down from the home page album layout without a lot of clutter (but still the ability to stick my thoughts in with the pictures).

So please leave any suggestions, experiences with Photoblogging, or thoughts. Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-04, 11:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How 'bout PBase? www.pbase.com

Also, if you have your own web server, you can use any one of a million photoblog scripts that are free. First one that comes to mind off the top of my mellon is PixelPost.

HTH,

Chris

Old 12-15-04, 12:19 PM
JessAnovA04
Visiting Guest
Pbase looks promising, though I'm still not sure. I don't have my own server or I would use script software... it's just another step to bother with. Thanks for the suggestion, Pbase hadn't come up in any of my research so far.

Old 12-15-04, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
JessAnovA04,

It kinda sounds like you are in the same boat as myself.

I have been meaning for the last year and a half to set up a web site on space I have included with my internet service.
In fact my programmer/analyst/web-building son was more than willing to guide me but I caved, did a quick Google, and came up with Photobucket as a place to post pictures.
I checked out Webshots, but they have too many strings attached to their service for my liking.

Not promoting them specifically, but I had my pics online and linked to a post on this site in less that ten minutes.
I honestly havn't even checked to see if they are set up with albums of any kind or the implications of the bandwidth and storage they offer for free.

Chris: Any input on this or this type of service?

Old 12-15-04, 03:14 PM
JessAnovA04
Visiting Guest
Photobucket has a 25mb limit instead of Webshots 240 pic limit. I promote webshots specifically because they're offline software is very easy to use (though it is a bit intrusive at first until you uncheck some settings) and the way your pics get organized is nice and simple. I want something a tiny bit more customizable and a tiny bit more blog like. I'm currently looking at sony's imagestation and fotki.com though I won't have time to test out thier free trials 'till finals week is over.

Photobucket also has a bandwith limit and does not offer the option (i think) to automatically resize your photos to a more reasonable size, which can be a chore for 200+ photos.

Old 12-15-04, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
So far Photobucket works for me until I can take the time to do something different.
Right now I have 2 images and an animated gif on there and this takes less than half a meg.
This would allow around 75 pics which is more than enough for my purposes.
The only problem I see with how I'm using it is that any forums I link to the images there, will loose the images if I do something different.

Here is the bandwidth limit for free accounts:
"You are allowed 1,500 megabytes of bandwidth per month for free accounts. This is approx 30,000 direct links and resets each month on the day you registered."

My son's girlfriend has a little site using Gallery, which I was going to try.
Problem is my isp doesn't allow changing any server settings which this program needs.
My son has his own server so it works good for her.

Old 12-15-04, 06:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The only other place you might like is to get the hosting at FM.

Not free, but worth every penny. Awesome site.

Chris

Old 12-15-04, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Chris, you're right,

That is a good site.

Can't wait 'till I wade through my backed up projects and can look around more.

Thanks for the link!

Old 12-15-04, 08:58 PM
JessAnovA04
Visiting Guest
Thanks again for the suggestions, FM doesn't really offer me much more than webshots premium, at least for my purposes.

Old 12-31-04, 04:13 PM
JessAnovA04
Visiting Guest
A solution (for me at least)

After all my research, I have found this site: Fotki.com

It meets most of my needs, featuring decent upload options and a "journal" (read: weblog) feature.