Tell Me What Caused This? Please

Old 01-11-05, 04:11 PM
Question Tell Me What Caused This? Please

Hi Gregg and Everyone:

I really need your help for this one. These pics were submitted in the Ghostly Photos forum of the message board where I'm a moderator. I've had similar effects happen in pictures, and I know it's not paranormal in nature. When I gave my opinion on this, the person who submitted them was not pleased to hear her pics were not paranormal. She stated to me that she is a "mother" and has taken thousands of pics with this same digital cam, so she knows they are paranormal. Help... I'm not expert in photography and I sure could use an intelligent and tactful response to give her. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at them, they are at: (Click on the pics to zoom.)http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1175895

Million Thanks,
Pate

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-05, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Pate,

I see many possibilities as to how these pictures could have been created.
I don't have an answer as to how the light trail could have could have been been caught without some sort of intentional act.
In all of the pics the subjects are stationary while the light moves.
In some of the pictures the speed at which the light moves can be seen to change.
One image, 16eb.jpg, has the line of light moving up from the bottom corner and then the light turns from dashes to a solid color which indicates a change of speed.
The skipping movement of this line almost looks like something thrown in an upward motion and then pulled back.
Another photo, 9f49.jpg, shows two people's shadows from a light that is behind them. One can be seen holding the camera and the other ???
805a.jpg shows the light where it originates on the ground and follows a wavey path, fireworks possibly?
The last one I'm not sure but you can see the flight path of whatever is creating the light.
I would do that in Photoshop if I were making one like that.

As far as disproving her photos she would need more documentation than just her say so.
Images are too easily created, and as such anyone trying to push a theory better have more backup than just their "word".

Good luck on this eh!

Old 01-11-05, 06:57 PM
Hi Greg:

Thanks for looking at those for me. So, perhaps they could be of paranormal nature... I've had a lot of these type of "anomalies" in pics I've taken and was told the digital cam picked up on a light source, the cam was slightly moved, and that's where they came from. I wondered, because in a few of the pics I took where this type of effect occurred, it was completely dark, with no noticeable light sources around. I did have one very similar to her 805a, but the pc I had it on crashed and I lost it. If you wouldn't mind, take a looksee at these I took. They were taken with no flash and there were no lights nearby other than one on the opposite back corner of the house. I was in front of the house. There are 5 pics here (2 of them are strange. I have no idea what that lil light critter is.) Four of them were taken at an old estate in Covington, GA. The house sits on 57 acres, and is not real close to anything. It was vacant, as they were getting ready to develop the site. Now, I'm questioning my judgement again, and maybe I shouldn't have spoken that I didn't think they were paranormal. It's time for me to take a course in photography, seriously. Another member of the board, who is also a member with TAPS (The Atlantic Paranormal Society,) told her it was simply slow shutter speed and light. Ok, my similar pics are here: http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1175157 Hope you don't mind.

Thanks again,
Pate

Old 01-11-05, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
You would have to have a good understanding of light and lighting effects to begin to explain what we are looking at in your pics.

Most certainly slow shutter speed will cause anything moving across the field of view of the camera to look exactly what we are looking at.
Any time you take a picture in the dark an automatic point and shoot type camera will slow down the shutter speed to allow the image to be captured.
This being the case you could find a plausible explanation for any of these images.

As I was looking at the last batch of pictures I had a revelation and clicked on my web cam.
My comfuser is in my basement on a wall that faces the driveway and front yard of my rural property without a window of this view.
I installed a web cam in the front window connected through the floor to my computer in the basement.
I had forgotten about all the strange lights I see at night.
Lights that appear to blink that are steady. Mysterious lights that turn out to be a reflection from my cell charger in the dining room. Wierd lights from cars that drive by as seen through 150 feet of a heavily treed front yard.

All pretty strange, all explainable.

I think I said it before. Knowlege is the key.

Did you try infrared yet?
This film, used during daylight will have you using faster shutter speeds to eliminate the downside of night photography.
I'm sure spirits come out during the day.

Old 01-12-05, 12:15 AM
Thank you, Greg... I appreciate your taking the time to look at the pics and give me your opinion. I haven't tried the infrared yet. I have birthday coming up early February and it's on my "I Want This List." There are real paranormal pics out there, but what I didn't realize when I first started and what other ghost hunting "newbies" don't realize, is that a true paranormal pic, like of an apparition and spirit orbs are hard to come by. It's really difficult telling people, it's lights, or dust or whatever when they are so excited thinking they've captured something paranormal. Oh, and by the way, spirits do come out in the day... but are more active between 12:00 a.m. and 6 a.m. I couldn't help but laugh you said that. You gotta admit, I have some interesting pics and questions anyway. Thanks so much once again.

Pate