Digital camera questions

Old 01-02-05, 03:47 AM
Digital camera questions

I got a new toy, a Sony Cyber-shot camera. I never considered getting a Digital camera but am now warming to the possibilties.

Thing is...I am fundamentally ignorant about digital cameras and at a glance the Sony literature does not seek to clarify or enlighten but to confuse and confound, such as when it states that 'When using XP, you need not install the USB driver, once the USB driver is installed, you need not install the USB driver." What???

I approach everything with great and fretful deliberation, usually making things larger and more complex than they are. I am certain that as I fiddle around I will, as usual, attain a level of functional competency, yet I am looking to find basic guidance on usage and such.

I've searched the web to find that everyone wants to sell me a digital camera and assumes I know the first thing about how to use one.

Can anyone provide me with a link?

Happy New Year!

E Green

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-05, 04:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There's little to be an expert about.

With a digital camera, it's pretty simple. In XP, you probably don't need a driver. More than likely, simply install the software the camera came with, and then plug in the camera. XP will find it. I am NOT positive about this, but it's more than likely accurate.

Your camera has a memory card of some kind. You take pictures, and they are written to the card. Then, when you feel like it, plug the camera to the USB cable and download the photos.

Once on the computer, you can do whatever you want to with them.

HTH,

Chris

Old 01-02-05, 04:51 AM
Thread renamed

Old 01-02-05, 06:26 AM
yeah OK, the way I am, the first thing I look at when I get something is the troubleshooting guide to see what might go wrong with it. I'll just take the darn thing out of the box and get going with it.

Thanks!

I'm sorry if my title was off base. I definitely do not want to make this a place where I am unwelcome since I find this forum to be a valuable resource.

EGreen

Old 01-02-05, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by EGreen
yeah OK, the way I am, the first thing I look at when I get something is the troubleshooting guide to see what might go wrong with it. I'll just take the darn thing out of the box and get going with it.
Best way to do it! It should be pretty easy, man. Post back with any questions.

Originally Posted by EGreen
I'm sorry if my title was off base. I definitely do not want to make this a place where I am unwelcome since I find this forum to be a valuable resource.
You have no need to worry about that. I simply retitled it for better searching, that's all. It's my job. People use "bad" titles all the time. Don't even sweat it!

Chris

Old 01-02-05, 08:01 AM
Hi EGreen,

Check out dpreview.com. On the left hand side they have links to forums, glossaries, tutorials, etc.... I just bought my wife a digicam for Christmas, and I am finding all I need to know here. Check out the Sony forum.

One site in particular (shortcourses.com) gives detailed info on all the terms and functions of digital cameras.

To make downloading your pics much easier, I would suggest a card reader. Depending on the type of card your camera uses, these are between $10 - $30. If you have a newer computer, you may already have one built in.

Good luck, and have fun.

Jeff

Old 01-02-05, 08:39 AM
Thanks. I'll check it out and get started........

I'm not sure about the card reader, what it is or if I have it, I do have a 6 month old Dell 4600, I' guess I'll find out.

Thanks All!

E Green

Old 01-02-05, 12:32 PM
tythetiger
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Hi Egreen I also got a new sony camera. dsp 150 or something. Its a great camera. Anyways if your using window xp on your pc you dont need any of the software that came with the camera. Just take pictures and when your card is full, use the usb plug to hook up the cam to the pc. Your pc will ask if you want to download the pics.It easy.

Old 01-02-05, 12:34 PM
tythetiger
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Oh and dont waste your money on acard reader. The sony cameras are designed so you dont need one.

Old 01-02-05, 03:07 PM
We've had several threads where this came up. Get a card reader. Get a card reader. Did I mention getting a card reader?

Chris

Old 01-02-05, 03:19 PM
Yes, get a card reader. It is much easier to use a card reader than it is to use the cable that comes with the camera.

Old 01-04-05, 11:28 AM
Someone should have suggested you get a card reader also! Seriously, it's more convenient than using your camera. It can be kept plugged into your USB port always at the ready and they are relatively cheap.

Bob

Old 01-05-05, 04:34 AM
I don't know of any digital camera that isn't designed to hook up directly to a computer. But you should still get a card reader. Its money well spent, unless you only take a few pics a year.

Old 01-06-05, 04:24 AM
I looked at several card readers last night. They are $20. You spend $200 or more on a camera - spend the extra $20 and get a card reader.

Old 01-06-05, 04:41 AM
Up and running, but ...

Thanks for all the input here. As I suspected, I'm up and running with it and it is a now less mystifying to me.

Alot of you guys clearly feel strongly about the superiority of the card reader to hooking the camera via the usb port. However,I must say that downloading directly from camera to computer seems a snap, especially since I have a USB port in the front of my machine. I won't knock the card reader though, given that I'm such a newbe and haven't tried it.

The only thing bugging me is that I discovered that my camera doesn't provide the option of shooting in b&w (especially given that my dad who has an earlier model of the same camera can)

I've tried to change from color to b&w after downloading with my JASC software and it looks awful.

Can anyone recommend better editing software?

Old 01-06-05, 05:55 AM
Jasc makes several types of software. Which title and version are you using?
I use Paint Shop Pro version 9 (I upgraded from version 8) and haven't found any problems. Is it a demo version or did you buy the license?
What didn't you like about the resulting b&w pic?

The only software better than Paintshop Pro 9 is Photoshop CS.
IMHO its not worth spending $650 just to make b&W prints.

BTW - which model CyberShot do you have?

Last edited by BobF; 01-06-05 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-06-05, 09:46 PM
tythetiger
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb ACDSee is a great photo editing program!

Hi. Im glad you found it easy to get the pics from the camera into your computer. I found a program at Best Buy called ACDSee 6.0 and its really easy to use. I bought this a few months ago though so I think they are now on version 7.0. To me the best feature about this program is that as my photo collection (lots of pics of my kids) grows bigger, I can still burn my entire collection to one disc to back it up because it allows you to burn your pics onto a DVD instead of using CDs. I easily put over a thousand pictures onto one DVD but this will only be useful if you have a DVD burner. If not you can still burn them onto CD's. Also when you open up the program it displays little pictures(thumbnails) of all your individual pics intead of just numbers like "Pic 0001, Pic 0002, Pic 0003". OH I ALMOST FORGOT! This program also has an option to change your existing color photos into B&W photos. And this program is going to be much cheaper than Adobe Photo shop or something in the Adobe brand. You dont need that stuff unless your going pro. Hope this helps.

Old 01-07-05, 12:57 AM
I am using the JASC paint shop 5 that came preloaded on my computer which I recently shelled out 40 bucks for continued usage of the 'advanced' features. As far as the quality of the B&W I feel challenged in describing given that I have far from a pro's eye...it seems just to remove the color with no other capability of subtler alterations that I might be able to control if the camera itself had a b&w shooting mode option. I am not complaining about the camera (DSC-P73) it's far better than the only other camera I ever owned (an instamatic when I was about 8 y/o.) That said, I would like more options with the b&w. Does any of the software you guys have give you this?

Old 01-07-05, 04:56 AM
I was playing with Paint Shop Pro 9 last night. There are two options to turn a color pic into b&w. Which method you chose depends on what you will do with the finished pic. Once converted, you can be another Ansel Adams and change individual parts of the pic to suit your tastes. In fact, there are so many options it can be overwhelming.

I've heard good things about ACDSee. You can download a trial version from their website. I tried it and uninstalled it as I prefer other packages. For instance, I like Adobe Album for printing multiple pictures on a page. Just select the package and its done.