going digital SLR

Old 05-10-05, 06:58 PM
going digital SLR

Hello everyone,
I have a nice point and shoot sony digital but I want to get a good SLR camera. I am deciding between the Canon digital rebel(6.3mp) or the rebel xt(8.0mp). If the largest photos I plan on printing are maybe the occasional 8x10, will there be a noticeable diff between the two as far as resolution is concerned? The guy at the camera shop said hardly any difference.
I've heard only good things about the canon rebel, does anyone have any personal experience they could share. If so thanks alot.
Byron

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-05, 08:02 PM
Either will make an excellent 8x10. Used properly, the XT will rival large format cameras. For the extra costs, I'd go with the XT.

Old 05-10-05, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
Byron,

You may not need the extra resolution of the XT model but there are more advantages than image size.
They have improved the start up time and shutter lag over the older Rebel model which is a problem that plagues digital cameras.

Rebel XT review.

Old 05-11-05, 03:47 PM
thanks for the info guys

I think I will go with the xt, very thorough on the review site listed. Tons of info.
Thanks,
Byron

Old 08-30-05, 02:21 PM
Derek Pearson
Visiting Guest
what are you using it for? If its just to take family photos, vacation stuff etc. I recommend against buying an SLR. They are a major inconvenience to tote around and have to worry about security etc. There are many point and shoot cameras out now that will do nicely for these applications...

Old 09-08-05, 09:38 PM
Beware of Canon Digital Rebel

Do not trust Internet reviews. They have sponsors and not all will write about the bad things. I had Canon EOS Digital Rebel which was terrible. It made some pictures too dark or too light at random. I was new to digital cameras and I thought it was something I was doing wrong. Because I thought it was my fault, I kept it too long and passed the Camera's stores return period. After researching on the Internet I discovered it was a widespread problem. I lost about $200 because of a restocking fee. (Arlington Camera in Arlington, Texas). Now that I think about it, the box was open when the store clerk first showed it to me. So, someone else may have already returned it, I don't know. I called Canon and they stuck to their company policy and basically told me they were sorry and to get lost. I suggest you do a Google search for the terms:

"Digital Rebel" (and)
problem (or) faulty (or) bad

That is a good way to research anything.
Another place to look it epinions.com