out of memory?

Old 08-28-05, 09:42 PM
Cool out of memory?

I have a Nikon coolpix 3500 digital and all of a sudden I started getting "out of memory" when I turned it on. Afte reading up on it some I beleive these cameras have a memory card? I need to replace my memory card? Is this my only option? deleting pictures or something else will not free up memory?

Excuse my inexperiance with these digitals and thank you

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-05, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Jim,

Yes, your camera has a Compact Flash type of memory card.
Have you deleted the picures on it?

If you have deleted the pictures there are a couple of things you can try.
First, make sure the camera is turned off and then locate the memory card and then remove by depressing the ejector button and reinstall it to try to ensure the pins are all making contact.
If this does not fix it then the card may need to be reformatted.
You should find this while in the menu mode by selecting "CF card format".

Give this a try and let us know how it works out.

Nikon 3500 info.

Old 08-29-05, 01:27 AM
GregH
Thanks man. I assume now that this will have to be done from time to time? I also assume there are bigger memory cards I can buy?

Thanks again man.
Jim

Old 08-29-05, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator
Jim,

Yes, I'm not sure why.
If you remove your card you can check the size.
I have a 1 GB card for my Nikon CP 8800 and I have read you can get them up to 8 GB.

How big is your card and did you try the reformat?

Old 08-29-05, 06:05 PM
I believe that camera came with a 16MB card. Way too small, IMHO. Buy a new and bigger card. You can find them at Circuit City, Best Buy, and other stores that sell Nikon, Canon, and other quality digital cameras.
Get the biggest you can afford.

Do you download the pics to your computer? If yes, I have a couple of suggestions.
1. When you are buying the new memory card, get a card reader too. Its much better than using the camera to load on the computer.
2. From time to time, burn the pics on a CD-R. Don't trust your hard drive to save them forever. If your cd burning software allows it, you can make a slide show by burning a VCD (video CD), playable on many DVD players.

Old 08-31-05, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by BobF
I believe that camera came with a 16MB card. Way too small, IMHO. Buy a new and bigger card. You can find them at Circuit City, Best Buy, and other stores that sell Nikon, Canon, and other quality digital cameras.
Get the biggest you can afford.

Do you download the pics to your computer? If yes, I have a couple of suggestions.
1. When you are buying the new memory card, get a card reader too. Its much better than using the camera to load on the computer.
2. From time to time, burn the pics on a CD-R. Don't trust your hard drive to save them forever. If your cd burning software allows it, you can make a slide show by burning a VCD (video CD), playable on many DVD players.
Sorry Bob for the quote but I didnt see how to just do a simple reply. Greg, yes I did the formatt. Bob yes, I download to my computer. Thanks guys for the advice and sugestions.