E-mail picture file size?

Old 10-12-05, 10:08 AM
Question E-mail picture file size?

I apologize beforehand if this question has been addressed previously. I did a quick search and couldn't find it.

I think that one of the best reasons for having a digital camera is the ability to easily E-mail photo's. My problem is that the default settings on my camera(Olympus D-540 Zoom) are such that, while taking a good picture, it sends a file so big that it forces any recipient to view the picture a section at a time.

Can I adjust the camera so that doesn't happen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-05, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
Dan,

The setting within the camera to make an image fit on most monitors would be 640 x 480 pixels.
Although this setting may satisfy some viewers problems, you may be selling yourself short if you take pictures at this resolution.
The size I quoted although good for viewing on a monitor, would be totally useless if you ever wanted to print any of the pictures.
There are two ways to approach your problem and unfortunately it would involve some learning, either by you or the person trying to view the image at the other end.
The reason the recipient is having difficulty is because they are not using the proper viewing program.
Assuming they use Windows XP, just having them save the picture files in a folder that is easy for them to access, XP will automatically resize the imge for viewing.
The other option is for you to resize the pictures yourself and send them as 640 x 480 or smaller.
There are many photo editing programs out there that are not that difficult to use.

I think the preferred option would be that if you planned to print any photos, you would do well to take the pictures at the maximum resolution of the camera and resize the ones you wish to send.

If any of this doesn't make sense or you want further assistance let us know, we're here to help.

Old 10-13-05, 04:38 AM
If I drop the files into "Paint" and "Stretch/Skew" them to 640 x 480, will that do it?

Old 10-13-05, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, that should do it.
When I resize I will rename the file and put "sm" at the end of whatever I rename it to make the pic easier to find. Renaming will leave the original intact so that your prized original will remain untouched.

I'm not sure what settings are on your paint program but in Photoshop I find that 600 wide and the height set to remain proportional on a landscape oriented photo can be viewed by anyone.
Also, make sure that when you save the edited photo that if you have an option it should be saved as a jpeg.
In Photoshop I have the option of save quality and will select a quality that gives me a file size that suits what I will then do with it.
I have a very slow internet connection and if I'm going to send several images I will use a file size of around 100k which still makes the image look acceptable when viewed on a monitor.

Old 10-13-05, 04:57 AM
Thanks!!!!