No Flash and camera shuts down

Old 11-21-05, 05:36 AM
No Flash and camera shuts down

I have a Minolta DiMage S414 four megapixel digital camera.

Recently, the camera will not flash and only stays on for about 30 seconds before automatically shutting down. I get an ERR message and the manual just says to remove the batteries and then replace them. This doesn't seem to solve the problem. The manual also says to let the camera cool down, but after 30 seconds heat is not an issue.

The flash will not work in either the Auto mode or Manual mode. The camera only shuts off after 30 seconds in the Auto mode and will stay on just fine in the Manual mode.

I have put fresh NiMH batteries in, so I don't think it is a power issue, and the battery monitor on the display screen says the batteries are at full power.

Any ideas on what might be the problem? Can a bad Compactflash card cause this?, although mine will record pictures and movies just fine, as long as I don't need a flash.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-05, 03:51 AM
Maschera
Visiting Guest
I guess it isn't a brand new camera or you would have returned it to the store by now. Is it still under the manufacturer's guarantee? If so I'd get it repaired or replaced under the terms of the warranty.

Old 11-22-05, 11:40 AM
No Such Luck

Of course it's out of warranty--nothing ever breaks when it is still under warranty!!! That's how manufacturers determine how long a warranty should be---figure out how long an item should work without problems, deduct a month or two to be on the safe side, and there is your warranty period.

I could never be so lucky. I have a number for Minolta's Help Line, but haven't had a chance to call in with the camera in hand. Hoping to do that the day before Thanksgiving since I'm off work.

Maybe I'll be able to take a flash picture of the turkey if all works out.

Old 11-26-05, 12:09 PM
mrjb
Visiting Guest
My S414 does the same thing

mine too. If you find out what is wrong please post it. I have the same model with the same problem.

Old 11-28-05, 10:16 AM
Expensive Repair

MRJB,

JUst off the phone with Konica Minolta Customer Support and it is $140.00 to repair the camera. The tech says this is not a problem he has had extensive complaints about (at least to his knowledge) and since the camera is out of warranty, the repairs would be the owner's responsibility.

I was hoping that this was a frequent problem with this model and Konica Minolta would fix it gratis, but no such luck.

If you hear of a fix let me know.

Old 11-29-05, 01:45 PM
mrjb
Visiting Guest
Gonna check with a repair center

sgtgerryf
Well that just stinks. The darned thing cost me 250 new and I just checked ebay and you can buy one NIB for about 100. Sheesh
... nobody prices repairs anywhere near what they should be. http://forum.doityourself.com/newrep...te=1&p=887608#
Mad
mrjb

p.s. I am going to call a local repair center to see if I can find a better repair price. I will post what I find out tomorrow.