Camera Lens question

Old 04-03-06, 05:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Smile Camera Lens question

I just purchased the Canon EOS Rebel XT, used it in Europe for the past month.. I need a good or better wide angle lens, anyone have any advice on this? and where to get one decently priced?.. Thanks.. wayne

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-06, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator
Wayne,

My personal preference is to walk into a camera shop and deal face to face with a local retailer but you could try the ads that pop up in this window.

How do you like this camera?

Old 04-06-06, 02:41 PM
its the 350D and so far, I love it.. haven't figured it all out yet, but getting there..

Old 04-20-06, 11:49 PM
What is decently priced? That's a dangerous question regarding lenses. If you stay with Canon, you may pay a little more than say, if you look at a Sigma or Tokina. Are you looking for a prime (fixed focal) or a wide-angle zoom lens?

Old 04-20-06, 11:51 PM
One more thing...

Is this your first SLR camera? And, will you be shooting mostly during the day/night/indoors/outdoors?

Old 04-21-06, 08:51 AM
wide angle zoom lens preferred, price? just don't want to get back into the Nikon BIG prices.. I have a bag full of Nikon equipment that only works on the Nikon 35 thats in there with it.. dinosaur.. as to when, days, night, rain, shine, ..... cruise, landscape, ?.?.?

Old 04-21-06, 12:59 PM
There is a 20mm f/2.8 prime from Canon that would be equiv. to 32mm on your XT for around $400. There is also a Tokina 12-24 f/4 that people rave about for about $500. If you are thinking under $200...there is the 28mm f/2.8 for around $170. I don't know your exact budget, but if I could, I'd buy the Tokina or the Canon 10-22 Ef-S lens.

I don't know if you have this lens already, but the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II is a fantastic lens for the price ($70-$85). I don't know if that's wide enough for what you are looking for, but I love mine. Everyone should own this lens. For the price, you won't find a better lens.

I suggest looking at B&H Photo/Video's website. They have some of the best prices around. Also to note...Canon is doing rebates from April-June(?) on certain lenses. Your XT was on a $100 rebate (in case you bought it in April).

Old 04-25-06, 08:28 PM
I bought it in November last year actually.. the tokina sounds like the way to go.. I'll have to go down to the photo shop and try it out to see what it see's through the view finder.. click a pic and view.. as to B&H.. I tried over a period of 6 hours on the phone to get these people in order to buy a flash memory card, never could get a live body.. never got a return call, emailed them, finally got someone to answer by the time I was thoroughly pissed off at them.. now they could be giving lens's away and as far as I'm concerned, they can keep them.. I'll pay more from someone a little more personable and customer oriented.. but, thanks for the insight on the lens's.. I'll definately take your advice on them... thanks... wayne

Old 04-27-06, 01:25 AM
I wouldn't be caught dead trying to deal with NYC customer service (oxymoron?) over the phone. I would only buy online from them. Glad I could help a bit.