Corel Paint Shop Pro.X

Old 06-25-06, 06:30 PM
Corel Paint Shop Pro.X

Would someone please explain (in detail please) how you can delete text added to a digital picture.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-06, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
Hello Jack B.,

I am not that familiar with Paint Shop Pro but I'll give it a shot.

How you remove the text will depend on how it was put there.
If it was added to the same layer as the picture and saved you will have to erase it with an eraser tool and then replace the color that was lost.
Photoshop has a clone tool to allow you to match what was removed but I don't know what your software has.
Photoshop is what I am familiar with and it allows you to make changes to the image without altering the original.
Look to see if that option is available in your program.

Is this perhaps the date you want to remove?

Old 06-26-06, 05:21 AM
No it isn't a date. But we're RVing and text is just to add some discription to the pictures. I reduced the size of the pictures to approximately 800 X 600 pixels, so they wouldn't take so long to download. When I did, it would distort the text. I was wanting to remove it and replace it after I downsized the pictures.

Old 06-26-06, 06:42 AM
Corel Paint Shop Pro.X

Jack -

As GregH said you can remove it in several ways, depending on how you entered the text and how you saved it.

If you entered the text and saved it on a different layer (.psp? file), then you can remove or delete the layer. If you have other text on the same layer, you select the text you want to remove and delete just that selection or the text.

If you entered the text and saved it in a single layer file (jpg. etc.), you have to use the eraser tool (set at 100% for edges and density). Then use the clone tool to copy the surrounding area to the area erased. You may want to experiment with the edging definition, density and othe options to get what works best for your particular subject and background.

If you have a relatively flat single color background behind the text, you could choose to paint over the text with the surrounding or background color and then just touch up or add variations with the clone tool.

It is not as tough as it sounds. Just take a old file, rename it and play with it. Soon you will be adding and removing people. You can have a lot of fun being creative - I have a photo with me, Jimmy Carter, George Bush, Bill Clinton and G.W. Bush taking a walk together. Also, try restoring old photos - it is not too bad either.

I save my finished photos in two formats. One copy in .jpg or similar, since it is used by many programs and is easier to send and share. The other is in the .psp (I think) format with all the layers, so I can easily make changes for the future. You willl need disk space (I have a spare 200 GB drive and my 8000+ photos don't make a dent in it) and a good cataloging system to find everything.

Dick

Old 06-26-06, 04:39 PM
I suggest taking another track. Leave the text and reduce the image using the software and not dragging a corner. Make sure you have the "lock aspect ratio" and "resize all layers" boxes checked.

I have version 9 (previous version) and have no problems with the text.

Old 06-26-06, 05:18 PM
Bob,
If you will, please explain your second sentance in a little more detail. I'm afraid I'm not up on computers as well as I should be. I'm still learning...slowly but surely. Please explain in detail. It sounds like something that just might work very well.

Old 06-26-06, 08:15 PM
Bob -

Is your suggestion for a photo that had text added, but saved as a .jpg file or similar? - I can't seem to follow, since I am not as familiar with the Corel version since I have done most of my work with the older Jasc programs. The new is not any better in my opinion.

Dick

Old 06-27-06, 10:07 AM
The best way to make a picture smaller is to let the software resize it.

Click on "image" on the menu bar at the top. Then click on "resize". A window will open up that will let you change the size of the picture. You can do by inches (print size) or pixels.

At the bottom of that window are options. When the software resizes, it will resample (redraw) the picture. It may have to fill in (create) some pixels or remove some pixels. The resample option tells the software what algorithm (how-to) to use.

Below that is the "lock aspect ratio". You want this checked. Otherwise your 4x6 picture will become 2x6 or 4x4.5 or ... That can really distort the image, like a fun house mirror.

Below that is an option to resize all layers. Again, you want this checked. What happens is this:
When you add text to a picture, the software is ceating a new layer. It looks the same to you because only the text can be seen. The rest is transparent. Once the text is the way you want it, shrink all the layers as one. Otherwise, only the text or the image is changed.

Failure to check either of these boxes will cause the text to become distorted. My guess is your pictures are of scenery or such, with no people. The image was also distorted but you wouldn't notice if a tree or mountain was shorter and fatter or taller and thinner.

Dick - the suggestion is for either. The "all layers" would not apply where everything was saved as a jpg since saving as a jpg "merged" all layers into just one layer. But the rest certainly applies.
You're right about the new versions. I upgraded from 8 to 9 (Jasc editions). Most of the improvements were to functions I rarely if ever use.

Last edited by BobF; 06-27-06 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-27-06, 01:59 PM
Thank you all for the good information.