What camera do I buy?????

Old 08-09-06, 04:51 PM

Hello,
I am considering buying a digital camera for amateur nature/scenery and general home photography. I do not have a large budget to spend on this, so I'm not talking about a Canon EOS or any other SLR. I am talking about something in the neighborhood of $200 with some flexibility either way.
An optical zoom is a must,it also should take very clear pictures of small objects. And I am also tired of pictures ending up all dark when taken at night,so good night pics would be really nice.
What I need to know is what is the best camera to buy in that range?
And what is generaly considered a good make?
I already have my own opinion,but most of you on here know a lot more than I do, and asking advice is good practice I hear....
Thanks
Tornerito
P.S. It doesn't matter if your opinions disagree with somebody else's (so long as it remains polite),just put up you .02$ worth.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-06, 08:27 PM

If you are willing to go the EBay route there are some very good cameras around. A particular series is the Minolta Konica Z1, Z2. The prices are very low ($75 to $125) because Minolta has shifted emphasis away from the point and shhot digital market. Many of the cameras are new or factory refurbished(read descriptions closely).

They are not great cameras like some of the 8 meg SLRs, but they offer 3.2 or 4.0 megs, an honest 10X optical zoom plus a 4x digital zoom (nobody needs it). They are a very usable camera at a very good price because of the situation. Some are offered with good cards (256-512 meg) which is a bonus often overlooked until you want to take a number of 1 meg shots that fill up the puny cards offered on out-of-the box new cameras.

I have one I bought for business (1 1/2" close focus macro) and the 10x zoom. Todate, I have shot about 7000 photos and have been very happy with it. It is automatic and has many programming functions. My main complaint is the slowness of the of the autofocus/exposure if you get sloppy. It is great for shooting a quick series of 6 to 12 shots of active grandkids.

I am going into a 8 or 12 meg DSLR, but, because of the market price I would never sell my old Z1 because of its utility and fexibility for general shooting. I have a AA battary charger and 1 gig of storage, so I shoot shoot forever for nothing.

For the price it is a cheap way to start and learn what you next set will be. The market is changing faster than you can change your mind and target prices.

Dick

Old 08-10-06, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
I have the Konica Minolta Dimage Z10. I use it at work to take before and after photos, as well as some close up mushroom photography as a hobby. It is an older model, only has 3.2 megapixels (which produces great 4x6 and 5x7 but would not be good for larger prints like 8x10) but it has GREAT zoom- 8X optical which at the time, was better than any other camera out there for 1/2 the price. It also has one of the most powerful flashes on the market, good up to roughly 18 feet from the subject. It has a movie mode (no sound) and you can run it fully automatic or choose your own settings if you think you know better. I love this camera and have not regretted buying it, I'd do it again.

I think you can find this camera online for less than $125. Originally, it retailed for around $300 back in 2004. It is not compact, but I don't carry my camera in a purse.

You can find a review of this camera if you google:
DCRP Review: Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z10

Old 08-11-06, 06:04 AM
thanks, I really wasn't reffering to quite that much zoom,but for that price...
I personally am a Canon fan and I was looking at some A530's on Ebay that are pretty cheap,anyone know what reputation those have?

Old 08-11-06, 12:45 PM
I've read up on some reviews on that camera and most say it's a great buy for the price. The biggest "con" about it is the E18 Error...which is it stops the lens from going in and out correctly.
Here's the info if you want to read more about it.

http://www.e18error.com/?source=GoogleAdWords_"Canon_E18"

Other cons are things like small LCD screen, noisy images and slow to write to the card. So I guess it really depends on what would bother you. My only concern if it were me is the E18 error but it's fixible...just gotta do your research.

If you'd like, you should read more reviews on Amazon if you'd like. Also, if you decide to buy it, don't strictly just go on Ebay. Check out Amazon and other places as well. Just my personal thought b/c a lot of times I have found other places cheaper.