Canon 20d digital slr?

Old 10-02-06, 11:22 PM
Canon 20d digital slr?

Can anyone provide first hand experience and advice on the reliability of this model? Also can it be used with existing studio lighting systems. I have had varried opinions as to whether you can use it with most studio systems or you need to go with Canons systems.
Any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-06, 12:50 PM
There's a guy on the internet named Ken Rockwell that has the most comprehensive site about digital photography - he leans toward Nikon, but recommends many Canon models as well. Google him.

Old 10-03-06, 06:17 PM
I actually have my 20D sitting right next to me...FANTASTIC camera. It didn't win camera of the year for nothing. All dSLR's will work with studio lighting. It's just a matter of having the right accessories so they all communicate together. If you are talking about on camera flashes, Nikon won't work with Canon. There are some third party flashes that will work, you just may not get the full ETTL-II as you would if you stuck with Canon flashes.

The build is great, 5fps, high ISO, over 50+ lenses, etc.... You can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon, but the 20D is a sure winner.

It's still better than Nikon and Canon's recent entry level cameras with 10 megapixels.

Old 10-04-06, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator
drmmkr,

I am not familiar with this camera but can offer some advice on the studio lighting.
If you connect the camera to a lighting system through the hot shoe and it is not specifically for Canon digital cameras you will need to use a protection device between the camera and strobe devices.
The one that I have is made by Safe-Sync.
Many older strobes have hot shoe voltages that are too high for the delicate electronics in a digital. The Safe-Sync will reduce the voltage and act as a cct breaker to protect the camera.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CG1121.html

Old 10-05-06, 02:09 AM
Safe Sync

Greg H...
I have a set of older Bowen Bo-lites that I sync to my cameras via the PC sync outlet. Do you believe I would still need the Safe Sync?
Thanks for the info and advice in advance.

Also thanks to rapture and indy-diy!

Old 10-05-06, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
To be safe I would say absolutely.

There are sites that will list contact tip voltages of various models of strobe equipment and even offer an opinion as to whether your camera will be ok but for fifty dollars or so for the Safe-sync, I personally wouldn't take the chance.

Not sure how hard it would be to collect but there is a warranty that comes with the Safe-sync that covers repairs to the cam if a strobe damages it.