Film Development on traditional camera

Old 10-15-06, 06:39 AM
Film Development on traditional camera

Hi:
One of my friends loves to take pictures, .... mostly his hobby related. He has been still taking pictures with his traditional camera, ... saying that he is not in favor to new camera, digital.

However, he starts complaing about a quality of film development which is NEVER like before, ... seems using 'left-over' ink to compensate and the like.

Where is he able to find a good quality of film development on his picture-taking hobby with traditional camera, ... not digital?

Thanks any suggestions and advices on this regard in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-06, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
PineCone,

Your friend's film processing problem is one that I had up to the time I went over to the dark side and did the digital thing.
In all honesty, the changeover to digital for everyone is inevitible.

On researching your question about film developement quality I was dissapointed to find that Kodak no longer has film processing support on the consumer film web page.
They still offer info on their films but not consumer processing.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/10/4281&pq-locale=en_US

I used to use a film processor that had a Kodak approval guarantee where they would reprint any photos that you were unhappy with.
There are/were Fuji labs that would offer the same guarantee.
The problem was the mistakes would happen more often and it got to the point that I wouldn't bother going back.
The only time I would return a print was if I was considering a big enlargement.
Processing cost and quality were the main reasons to switching to digital.

A suggestion for your friend would be to change photo labs untill he found the one with the best results.
I have found that the larger labs used more sophistcated developers and processors which tend gave better results.

Another option is to take his film to a camera store where he will have the option of professional processing where the results will be top notch but expensive.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/hub/labDig/labDigIndex.jhtml

If your friend is not digitally/computer inclined it is getting so he only has to take a memory card to a processor and they will print the pics and clear the card for him to start again.
Memory cards are becoming very inexpensive and can hold hundreds of pictures.

Old 10-15-06, 09:01 AM
Thanks, .... which brand/name is a good digital camera?

Hi:
Thanks for the response. I truly appreciate the time taking to answer to the difficult question I posted on this board.

My friend said that he might think of a digital camera knowing a traditional camera is no longer a meaningful purpose as to film development with cost.

Which digital camera would you recommend for a person who is quite content with a traditional camera, but it's inevitable for him to switch an up-to-date camera?

Because, he often taking photos at the area where safety is questionable, like a lot of teenager hanging around the bay and rough-area in order to take a perfect or near perfect picutres. For this reason, he said that he's been using a traditonal camera which no-one(at least) bothers him when taking picutres. Any expensive digital cameras are not an option for this reason. Is there a ditital camera on this?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-15-06, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
PineCone,

Choosing a digital camera for someone else is often hard to do.
A lot depends on exactly what kind of film camera your friend has now. A choice he would need to make is how many of the film camera features he wants on his digital.
This was my biggest problem because even though I have a somewhat complex digital many features are nowhere as easy to use as the the film camera.
The other side of this though is that the digital can do many things not possible with a film camera.

As far as a simple camera goes I know of very few people who are not happy with their basic digital once they learn how to use it.

As far a brands go most better known makes are all pretty good.
My wife's camera is fairly basic Canon A610 but has many settings that you can use if you do want to learn to do more advanced things.
This one is no longer made but there is a replacement model.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a610.html

The handiest feature this cam has is the ability to swing the rear viewing screen into different positions. This lets you be able to compose a picture if you are in an awkward position.
Another feature to be sure to look for is that there are a few digital camera makers out there that think photographers don't need an optical viwing screen.
Panasonic make some nice cameras but most of their cameras have you extending the camera at arms length to take a picture. There is no viewing window. Even with the image stabilizers that many cams now have, camera shake is still a problem, especially in low light or with telephoto.

Before you make any specific recommendations talk to your friend and find out what features he may want.
Keep in mind that all digital cams now have a fully automatic setting where you only have to point and shoot.

Old 10-15-06, 12:24 PM
The problem of processors using old chemicals has always been around, even before the advent of digital cameras.

I can understand your friend's reluctance to use a digital camera in those situations. My advice is to shop around at camera shops that still offer such services. A mail-order processor may be an alternative.

Search this Thread