Photo Re-size Question?

Old 11-21-06, 04:52 AM
Photo Re-size Question?

I need to re-size (usually shrink) .jpg photo's for a website discussion forum. I try to reduce the picture to about 400 x 300 pixels so it will filt nicely into our web pages.

Members send in various size pics to be posted, but when I shrink them, they almost always lose their sharpness.

In other words, if a member sends me a pic that is 1000 x 750 pixels, when I resize it to 400 x 300 pixels, it loses quality.

I'm using MS/Photo Editor because it's quick and easy and because there's no need to edit the photo other than to re-size and sometimes crop.

Is it the photo editing program I'm using or something else I might be doing wrong.
Thanks,
Phil

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-06, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
Shouldn't be losing quality when you resize smaller. Have you tried right clicking on the file in Windows Explorer and clicking "Resize picture"? It will give you several size options. I use that method with no problems.

Old 11-21-06, 04:30 PM
I'm not familiar with MS/Photo Editor. I use Paint Shop 9 instead.

Do you see the loss of detail right away or after the pic is saved and opened again?
How bad is the loss of detail? Lines become jagged? Colors wash out? Loss of sharpness? Lots of jpeg artifacts show up?

How are you resizing? If you just click a corner and drag, you will get horrible results. You must go thru a menu option to resize. Is there an option available for the algorithm used to resize the pixels (might be called resample), eg) bicubic or bilinear?

Does the pixels/inch change? Can you maintain the same number?

Old 11-22-06, 04:06 AM
Originally Posted by BobF
Do you see the loss of detail right away or after the pic is saved and opened again?
How bad is the loss of detail? Lines become jagged? Colors wash out? Loss of sharpness? Lots of jpeg artifacts show up?
How are you resizing? If you just click a corner and drag, you will get horrible results. You must go thru a menu option to resize. Is there an option available for the algorithm used to resize the pixels (might be called resample), eg) bicubic or bilinear?
Does the pixels/inch change? Can you maintain the same number?
Bob,
1) Yes, I see the loss of detail right away; before even saving the pic.

2) The loss of detail does not effect colors basically there's loss of sharpness and lines become jagged.

3) To resize, I use the drop down menu in the toolbar. It reads "Resize." It's very basic when I click on it, there are just a few options. It shows the size of the pic in pixels in two boxes, one for width and one for height. Also, there are two checkboxes; one called "allow distortion" which if selected allows you to assign values to both the width and the height. (if it's unchecked, when you add a value for one dimension, the other automatically changes to keep the same aspect ratio)
The other checkbox is called smooth; all it does is soften (or blur) the image. There's no adjustment for this function so I don't use it because it's too much effect. If I want to slighly soften the pic, there's much more adjustment in the editing tools section of the program.

4) The Pixels/Inch in this program is called "resolution" and it stays the same, or it can be changed in another drop down menu. I don't ever change that number.

I'm not at my home PC now, but when I get home later today or tomorrow, I have a few examples that I can upload and post links to. You'll be able to see the original and then the one I resized.... Maybe that'll give you an idea of what I'm doing wrong if anything.
Thanks,
Phil

Old 11-22-06, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Phil,

I'm not sure if this would be of interest but I have been trying out a free little program to automatically resize pics.
A handy feature is it can resize a complete folder in one operation.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Old 11-23-06, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by GregH
Phil,
I'm not sure if this would be of interest but I have been trying out a free little program to automatically resize pics.
A handy feature is it can resize a complete folder in one operation.
http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm
Thanks Greg,
I tried it, and it seems to work good. Too bad it doesn't include a "Crop" feature........
Phil

Old 11-23-06, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Well, if you are wanting to edit your pictures before shrinking then you will need to use a photo edit program.
If this was added to the PIXresizer program it would no longer be a simple free program.
I use Photoshop 6 but it is too slow compared to this little program if all you want to do is shrink and send.
Maybe you could consider investing in a modestly priced program.
I have heard Photshop elements is pretty good and not too expensive.

Old 11-24-06, 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by GregH
Maybe you could consider investing in a modestly priced program.
I have heard Photshop elements is pretty good and not too expensive.
Greg,
Actually, the free program you directed me to is going to work out great for me! It doesn't degrade the picture at all when reduced in size..... If I need to crop a pic, I can do so using MS/Photo Editor which only takes a few extra steps!
Thanks again,
Phil

Search this Thread