photo's and prints

Old 11-29-06, 05:19 AM
photo's and prints

Hi i've just had some of my old negatives digitised, and i'm looking at having some enlarged for wall hanging. For those that aren't brilliant complete pictures, how do i go about cropping or specifying the desired part of the photo, so that it can then be enlarged to a certain size? Is this something i need to do before i go to the d&p?
Do i need to keep picture ratio's and be wary of loss of quality by enlarging too much?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-06, 01:27 PM
you can do either. Do you have a photo editing program? If so, which one? Most places you can go into and crop your pic in the store. Personally, I do everything at home and send them away online for printing.

Old 11-29-06, 01:37 PM
One thing I forgot to mention....if they are film prints digitized, you will noticed film grain if you enlarge too much from cropping. As stated in another thread, take a look at the software "noise ninja". Some people like the film grain look, but it can get ugly if you make too large of prints.

Old 11-29-06, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
First thing we should know is how large you want to make your wall hanging.
Second thing we should know is what resolution your negatives have been scanned at.
To get some idea of how much detail will be in your scans you could take a look at the information for a typical photo and see how big a file size it is.
If you need to know how to do this let us know.

When making enlargements you have to be very carefull when cropping.
If you were to crop out say half the picture, this would have the same effect on the final print as doubling the print size from the original.
You get the best quality image when you crop the least.
The same goes for lightening or darkening a picture.
The distortion this causes is magnified in an enlargement.

I think that the best thing you can do is gather a bit of info on this and just try go and try it.
It's hard for us to offer an opinion without knowing how fussy you are about the final print.

Get back to us on the print size you want and how big the files are.

Old 11-29-06, 05:30 PM
Well, I'm going to take a different approach.

The digitized print is not going to have anywhere near the resolution of the original negative. So, if you want to severely crop and/or enlarge beyond a 4x6, take the negative to a good photo shop. Take a print also. A print of the digitized photo will work. Use the print to show the cropping.

If you only want to do minimal cropping or enlarging (say a 4x6) or you don't care about the final result, then used photo editing software on your computer.

Old 11-30-06, 04:23 AM
files

hi ok thanks for the info so far. I have 3 nice scenic photo's that i want enlarged to picture size, and a collection of other photo's that i would like to have at normal size. So i'm now considering having 3 montages, each with a large centre photo, surrounded by the smaller photo's. This would probably be cheaper than lots of small framed photo's.
So with regard to my initial concerns about distortion and cropping, the 3 larger photo's will be at most risk.
At the moment i've used my nikon editor to tidy and adjust the photo's.
They came back from the processors as 1831x1240 pixels at 96dpi. average file size about 550kb.
some of those that i have adjusted the light on are now nearer 1mb.
a friend has said i can use his photoshop while he's travelling but i don't know how to use it.
I will have a look for the noise ninja. For those that i want to crop and than enlarge to standard size, how do i retain the size ratio or external sizes if that's how it's done??
thanks

Old 11-30-06, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
In really rough numbers the file size is roughly the equivalent of what a two megapixel camera would give you.
Megapixel content of a picture is not the only measurement of a good image but generally speaking two megapixels when enlarged can have a fairly noticeable grain. This space between the pixels will also tend to make the colors less bright.
When you crop the image and enlarge it to whatever size print you want this will spread out the available pixels even more.
My suggestion is to take one of the best pics and have it enlarged to the size you want. You can then see if the results are what you expect.

What makes for a good printed image is very subjective.
My thoughts are that because your file size is fairly small your pics would turn out better if you did as Bob suggested and printed directly from the negatives.

What I do to decide if I want to hang one of my pics is to print it on my run of the mill photo printer in an 8 1/2"x11" size, hang it, then live with it for awhile.

Curious to know what you consider to be a "normal sized" print and what size do you plan to enlarge to.