Camcorder to PC [Merged thread]

Old 04-07-07, 06:07 PM
Camcorder to PC [Merged thread]

I have videos on my mini DV camcorder and I want to put them on my PC. I was told I could use the DV port on my camcorder. However I do not have a Dv port on my PC, I only have USB ports that are open. Is there a way to do this. Any help will be greatly apprecitted. Thnaks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-07, 07:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a Pinnacle AV card that allows most anything to connect to it..
Less than $100..
Comes with Studio software..

Old 04-08-07, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
You would likely be able to use an adapter cable to usb but to be sure you need to read the camera's manual where this should be explained.

Post the model of the camera and the details of your computer.

Old 04-08-07, 04:51 PM
I have a SHarp VL-NZ50 camcorder and our PC is a Gateway is a older model (maybe 3 years old). I checked the back of the PC and could only find open USB ports. If there is other info I am missing let me know.

Thnaks

Old 04-11-07, 08:14 PM
tae
basically, you need a video capture device either in your computer or attached to your computer, and the right cable to attach to your camera and the new device.
there are actually many ways to accomplish this, it all depends on your price range. just do a google for video capture.
something like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=171736&CatId=1428
or this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1961041&CatId=1428
could work for your usb.

Old 04-24-07, 05:10 PM
Copying a movie to DVD/CD

I copied my DV movie to my PC. However now I am having a hard time copying the movie to a DVD/Cd. Can anyone help me or get me started in the right direction.

THanks.

Old 04-24-07, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
Are you using a video editing program and if so which one? If you simply copy the video file to dvd it generally won't play except possibly on your pc. It would need to be properly formatted before bunring it onto dvd in order to play properly.

Old 04-24-07, 11:41 PM
The editing software is called Ulead Video Studio 7. When I open this, my videos pop up. However I can't seem to get them onto a cd/dvd.

Old 04-25-07, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
Hopefully a Video Studio user will chime in with specific instructions.

I use Nero and generally the procedure is to import the video file into the project, do the editing like adding titles, etc, and then select "write" or "burn".

I haven't done any lately so I'm a little rusty (got all the old home video vhs's converted), but as I recall I had better success "writing to disk", i.e. formatting and saving the files to the hard drive, and then burning the files to DVD. The trick is the file types/directories involved which, I think, are .bup, .ifo, & .vob for each clip that is formatted. That is, when you select the write/burn function (whatever it's labeled in VS7), the raw video file is formatted into these three files which must go on the DVD, either directly if burning it or into the hard drive directory if saving to disk.

For example, one of my leftover projects looks like this in the directory:

VTS_01_0.BUP 28 KB Backup file of the IFO
VTS_01_0.IFO 28 KB DVD movie info
VTS_01_1.VOB 357,690 KB DVD Movie

Like I said I'm pretty rusty, so anybody else jump in here and correct me.

Old 04-25-07, 09:57 AM
Thanks tow guy, can you tell what the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R is. Can I use either or is one better than the other.
Thanks again.

Old 04-25-07, 01:55 PM
I figured out what my problem is, my computer is not equiped with a DVD burner. I called gateway and they said i neeed to instal an internal DVD burner. Do I just buy one and replace it in the slot that my cd player is at.

Old 04-25-07, 05:56 PM
tae
yes you can do that,or if you have another slot add it and keep the cd drive also.

Old 04-28-07, 01:42 PM
I found a DVD/Cd combo drive are they fairly easy to replace?

Old 04-28-07, 07:38 PM
Yes the cd/dvd drives are easy to replace if you're no too timid about opening up your pc. Just make sure it's a dvd burner as well. If you want to convert your video files to true dvd format you will probably need a dvd authoring program like "DVD Flick".

I too have Nero and have not used it to edit any video files. We use Adobe Premeire Pro which converts the edited clips to .avi. Then the .avi is converted to DVD format using DVD Flick. However if you can convert the captured video to .mpeg 1 or 2 they should play on a stand alone dvd player as most of these play all kinds of file formats. I have a relatively inexpensive one and it plays the .mpeg just fine. And I know the version of Nero I have converts them to .mpeg1

As far as video capturing from a mini dv camera: My girlfriend is studying filmaking and the mini dv camera she uses needs to connect to our pc via firewire. It will not connect with USB. I purchased a firewire pci card for about $45.00.

Although you may be able to capture video from it using a video capture card and the video and audio outputs from the RCA jacks. Or the S-Video jack.

Check the owners manual if you have one to find out what kind of interface you need.

Or like GregH said post the make and model of your pc and camera here and someone should be able to assist you.

Old 05-21-07, 04:41 PM
jumpy video

I burned my mini dv movie to a DVD However it came out very jumpy. When I called tech. support for my burner they told me to free up some more space on my PC. My question is, will an increase in capacity really make the video come out better?

Old 05-26-07, 05:43 PM
Whenever you are working with vidoe files a ton of computer resources are used. If you get a little low on RAM it will cache off the HDD to get things done. Also when converting to DVD format a temporary folder is created and if you are low on storage this could be a problem. Best to have as much free space and memory when working with video files.

What are your current system specs. ?

Jim