HD Camcorders?

Old 06-05-07, 01:44 PM
HD Camcorders?

I have narrowed my camcorder search to two items based on my budget:

JVC Everio Hybrid Camcorder (SKU: GZMG155US)
- 30 GB Hard Drive
- SDHC Recording

Hitachi HD/DVD Camcorder (SKU: DZHS500A)
- 30 GB Hard Drive
- DVD Recording

I really like the new technology of hard drives, but I am afraid if the hard drive breaks, crashes, etc. the camcorder is done. I am in the computer field and PC hard drives go bad many times.

The JVC has a way better pix quality than the Hitachi. It allows you to record to SDHC but those cards are expensive. The Hitachi satisfies my concerns if the hard drive go bad since it has DVD recording capabilities.

If you had to choose between the two, what would you choose and why?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-07, 01:48 AM
Out of the two....I'd choose the Hitachi. Why? DVD recording.
However, I personally would not get a hard drive camcorder. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but think of it this way.... You've just shot a family video. Now you go home and put the camcorder away. You pull it out to record again and they stupid HDD is 90% full. 30Gig of video takes up...well, 30G of HD space. I'd rather have a good 3CCD MiniDV camcorder that I can take the tape out and mess with it later. And, like you said...if that HDD goes bad.

Now if you like to spend a lot of time on the computer, than go for it. I could very well be judging these camcorders unfairly. I just don't see the practical side of a HDD camcorder, other than having the new technology. And you may as well buy a new external HDD to go with it to store your videos on.

I know....not very helpful.