Sigma lens on Canon XTi? [Moved post]

Old 06-27-07, 11:18 PM
Question

Since you are talking about Rebel, may I ask something? I just got the Canon Rebel XTi SRL (used) and was excited with the macro and great zoom (both Sigma) the seller included, but later realized the original standard Canon lenses were missing.

I have taken a few pics, quality is good, but can't compare because never saw the results with the canon lens. Am I missing a lot?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-07, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator
"I have taken a few pics, quality is good" about says it all.
It is possible that a Canon lens may give you improved performance in the written specs but how you feel about your lenses are what counts.

The Canon lens is not necessarily missing.
It was very common with slr film cameras to only purchase a body and then get a lens by a major aftermarket mfr.
It was/is felt that some of the original lenses cost disproportionally more for only a slight gain in quality.
As long as you are getting automatic setting functionality there is nothing wrong with using aftermarket lenses.

Enjoy what you have and maybe switch it to manual to see what she can do.

Last edited by GregH; 06-28-07 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Post moved to its own thread.
Old 06-28-07, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator
I just thought of something else.

I am considering at some point to possibly purchase the Canon XTi or the Nikon D80 and one thing I noticed is that the included lens for both cameras do not appear to have macro capability.

So, if I can get a body significantly cheaper without a lens, getting something like you have is a viable option for me as well.

The kind of photography you can do with a macro lens.
This pic was taken with a simple point and shoot Canon A610 which takes a better macro than my bigger and more expensive Nikon 8800:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/hal2000/spidereatingwaspwide640x463.jpg

Old 06-28-07, 11:24 PM
Thanks for sharing, GregH! Wow! Amazing picture, gory -but good

"Enjoy what you have and maybe switch it to manual to see what she can do."
Appreciate your thoughts. I am happy with what I have, I am. Like many of us, I longed for some special lenses for years till I finally decided it was my turn. First thing I did was plan a short photo-shoot trip. There I was, me and my camera!... Funny thing is, it felt so bulky! (do I enjoy the place or carry around 15 lbs of equipment worrying about the flying sand and the raising tide, and scratching the lenses with every change? Wonder if it will always be the same: you want something, you imagine, you plan, you finally get it, and then... that is it :P

Anyway, I am still in a transition stage, where the habit of the automatic digital is still hard to shake off. How I refused those digitals when they came out! I was an old-fashion amateur photographer, and looked down on them -"That is technology, not photography, there is no art" When my job forced me to get one, I realized that digitals provided speed, versatility, and huge memory, yet the creative eye is still there and is what makes all the difference.
So, now I feel like next time I will not be dragging 15 pounds to the beach, but maybe... 17!

Old 07-01-07, 08:50 PM
What lens is it (the Sigma)? I don't have or tried a Sigma, but I have a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 I use on my Canon 20D, that is my favorite lens. I would also suggest looking at the Canon 50mm f/1.8II. For around $70, it's the best bargain, sharpest lens you'll find.

Old 07-01-07, 09:02 PM
I forgot to mention...Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina all make "pro" type lenses and they do make regular consumer lenses that aren't "pro". It all depends what you are looking to do with your XTi. Try using the Av or Tv modes if possible to learn...even "M" mode. Don't use the "green square" unless you want an expensive point and shoot.