Fuji FinePix getting blurrier and blurrier

Old 01-19-09, 12:25 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fuji FinePix getting blurrier and blurrier

Hello, my Fuji FinePix digital camera is three years old. Its battery is getting weaker, so it doesn't hold a charge very long. But the most annoying thing is that its once crystal clear pictures are becoming blurrier and blurrier around the edges the older it gets.

Photos from six months ago seem perfectly fine. But now, only the very center of the photos are clear, and the blurriness radiates outward circularly.

Is this degradation of the hardware? A lens problem? The weak battery? Corrosion?

And, can it be fixed for a reasonable cost or is the life span of a digital camera a mere three years? I sent an email and called to Fuji's repair contractor, but they refuse to give details, only saying that I must mail them the camera and expect $90 charge up front--which would be worth it if I was sure the total fee wouldn't exceed the cost of a new camera!

J

Old 01-19-09, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Might try the new battery first...but I've seen many reports of consumer grade cams having a 3 or so year lifespan. Has it ever been left in a hot car or anything?

Old 01-19-09, 03:00 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
I suggest you talk to a local camera shop. It may just need a good cleaning and adjustment. I would think they would charge less for the whole job than $90 and shipping. Plus they would probably be faster. Can't find a camera shop listed in the phone book? Call a professional photographer and ask them where they take their cameras.

Old 01-20-09, 05:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I have a FinePix S3000, and the only problem I have is that it eats batteries 4 to 1 as compared to my Minolta DiMage Z20. So you may benefit by using fresh batteries, and not rechargeable ones, as their life is alot shorter and could affect pix quality.
I agree with Ben's idea of taking it to a local camera shop...that is if the battery doesn't work.

Old 01-20-09, 08:31 AM
J
Thanks. I will definitely try the battery, then. Who knows, maybe a weak battery affects focusing. (That would be nice!) As for common grade digitals lasting only three years, well, that's something they don't tell you at the Wal-Mart camera stand, do they?! My old Canon APS still makes crystal clear pictures after a decade, and I was rather hoping to get a similar life out of my little FinePix.

J

Old 01-20-09, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
What model Fine Pix do you have and would you post a sample pic of what you are referring to?

You could post your pictures on a free site like Photo Bucket and provide a link.

Old 01-22-09, 09:17 AM
J
It's a FinePix model Z3. Concerning possible damage, I dropped it a few times. But I didn't notice immediate changes in photo quality. Also, some blowing sand at Coney Island got grit within the sliding cover. Again, don't know if this has a cumulative effect on the focusing power.

Here's a good example of how all the photos are looking these days.

As you can see, clear in the center, impossible around the perimeter.

J

Old 01-22-09, 09:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Honestly if you have gotten three years use out of your FinePix I would just shop for a new one they range from $85 for a J10 up to $250 for a F100FD and almost any of them will outperform your 3 year old model. I would not pay anyone to service your camera. It's current value is extrememly low so you will likely spend more than the camera is worth.

Yes, your battery has probably reached the end of its life. You can buy an aftermarket one (avoid EBay) for about $10-15 but I do not think it will help the focusing. Most cameras turn off automatically before a low battery can cause operating problems.

If you know a photographer/friend that can look at the camera for free I would try it. They could see if the lens is dirty and take some test shots to verify if the camera is working properly, but I would not spend any money on it.

Old 01-22-09, 09:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Thank you for posting the picture. Throw the camera away (make sure to save your memory card). Do not buy a battery and do not pay anyone to service it. If someone will look at it for free that is OK, but I would not spend any money on it. It is a three year old model with a retail value less than $50.

Old 01-22-09, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You could use it for special effect shots........

Old 01-22-09, 12:36 PM
J
Call me unhappy. The blasted thing cost $300 at the time. Are newer models really comparable yet more affordable? (I don't need anything more powerful than 5 megs but I want something small with a large viewing screen.)

J

Old 01-22-09, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
And dropping it certainly didn't help it. You can't "undrop" it, so you may as well suck up and get a new one. Shop around for features you want, and exclude those you don't. Like I said earlier, I really like the Minolta DiMage Z70. Easy on batteries, auto/AP/SP, and alot of other features if you are stepping down from professional film equipment will make the transition to digital easier. It took a while for me. I still have my film equipment, but can't sell it for a fraction of its original cost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: