Keystone Projector @ yardsale...

Old 04-19-09, 11:28 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Keystone Projector @ yardsale...

I purchased an 8mm Keystone A-8 Projector at a yardsale and want to know any suggestions before I Plug it in for the first time. Came in its case with all original materials (including unused Keystone oil in original box). I have cleaned off the dust and exterior mold but don't want to risk killing any of the internal components when I give the juice.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (I hope to use it to view a lot of film from the family archives in 8mm format.

Old 04-19-09, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
If there is mold on it you could be risking your old movies.
I do not have much experience with film projectors but know that the mechanics are fairly complicated.

Honestly, I frequent yard sales and see these often for sale for give-away pricing.

If you do try it make sure you can afford to loose the reel.

Old 04-20-09, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
And if/when you do get it up and running, consider digitizing your old movies. Project on a nice clean, white surface and record it. Then transfer to computer and put on DVD. You can get it done commercially, but the cost is pretty steep and DIYing it yields fairly good quality repro.

Old 04-20-09, 05:07 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I am mostly concerned about starting this antique projector for the first time in probably a long time. I have visions of the drive belt (that is completely sealed) breaking without proper precautions. Does anyone know if the Keystone A-8 uses the spring or an actual belt?

(The Keystone was manufactured just South of Boston on Rt 3 [a few miles from here], the building still bears its name but is an apartment building. I'm afraid the only source for these questions is your readership.)

Old 04-20-09, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
If the belts are deteriorated to the point of breaking you will not be able to restore them.

Your best bet is to clean it as best you can and try it.
There are several of these on e-bay, including replacement belts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: