Photo-Shop for XP/SP3

Old 12-15-09, 07:58 AM
Photo-Shop for XP/SP3

Hi:
I've been using 'Microsoft Digital Image 2006' since 2007 or earlier. It's been a terrific program, particularly 'Photo Shop' when in needing to enhance images and etc. However, on XP/SP3, MDI 2006 is VERY sluggish and often it's hard to load photoes.

My question is;
What or which Photo-Shop/program is more compatible to XP/SP3?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-09, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
I use Photoshop CS4 but it is expensive and bit complex though it can do amlost everything you can imagine and a few things you've never thought of. For the bulk of my photo editing I use Adobe Lightroom. It's much more affordable (less than $200), very powerfull and has a good file handling system for dealing with a large number of photos.

Old 12-16-09, 01:26 PM
I use Corel Paint Shop Pro X, which was purchased by Corel from Jasc. I also use Corel Photo Album, which is good for organizing, renaming and searching based on key words in the description of the image. The legal upgrade from the old Jasc to Corel was cheap.

I run XP and have 2 GB of ram on a fairly fast machine desktop that is about 3 years old. It runs well. I also have it on my laptop, that has good ram, but it is not quite as fast, but still acceptable even when I am impatient and don't want to think.

I finally was able to get rid of the nuisance marketing messages/links, so it is quite good to work with. Unfortunately, all my CD program disks were lost somehow, so I will hang onto the old box before jumping to a new box with the new operating system, since I possible will have to start from scratch with buying good program versions or taking chances on EBay.

Sometimes buying a cheap old disk version of a program (if you get the codes, register it and good virus protection), allows the door to open to get future disk upgrades (not downloads) at a reasonable price that can be installed on other machines. - I works, but maybe I have been lucky.

Dick

Old 12-16-09, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Have you checked out Gimp? It's free and some say it is almost as good as Photoshop.

Old 12-16-09, 02:08 PM
I use Photoshop CS2 with no problems at all. You might be able to pick it up somewhere cheap since it's a bit old. You might even consider picking up Photoshop Elements which is less featured than the Creative Suite version but still does a lot. Or you could even try the free online version at http://www.photoshop.com, which I haven't used in a long, long time so I can't tell you if it's good or not.

I've used Gimp also, but I didn't like how the windows are separated (you'll see what I mean if you try it), but it does just about anything you could need and for free.

Old 12-16-09, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
I've used Gimp also, but I didn't like how the windows are separated (you'll see what I mean if you try it), but it does just about anything you could need and for free.
It was announced a couple of months back that a new more modern interface will be released soon. Yes, those floating panels are a bit to get use to.

Search this Thread