Canon Lens Compatibility

Old 01-12-10, 02:20 PM
Question Canon Lens Compatibility

I want to buy a new Canon Digital SLR. I've had an EOS Rebel X 35mm camera for over 10 years and it has served me well. I bought an 80-300 Tamron zoom lens a few years ago for my 35mm. Will this lens be compatible with a new Digital SLR? I understand the autostabilization function won't work, but what about the Auto Focus and other features? I already checked on the size and it will fit onto the body of the camera I would like to buy. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-10, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
If the lens is the same as the Canon "EF" series lenses it will work.

Most of Canon consumer digital SLR cameras have a smaller sensor than the dimension of what 35mm film would be.
What this gives you is an apparent increased magnification of 1.6 times the lens focal length.
This means your 80-300mm lens will give you a field of view of 128-480mm.

I do some bird photography and my 150-500mm stabilized Sigma gives me an equivalent of 800mm at the far end which is kinda nice.

What model are you considering?

Last edited by GregH; 01-12-10 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-13-10, 06:38 AM
Thanks. Would be great to get some extra focal length out of the deal as I use this mostly for sports photography. Think I'm going with the T1i. Reviews have been really good. You have an opinion on which model?

Old 01-13-10, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Ya, you should be fine with the T1i.
I think for as long as you will have it the latest model is worth paying any difference over the older XSi.

I bought a 40D two years ago and like having a bigger body for the huge 155-500 Sigma lens.
I also find having owned an old Canon A-1 film camera with a power winder the 40D does not seem that large.
It is a little bit heavier that the smaller body models but I find I can get a more secure grip on the body.
My wife is somewhat small and has no problem using it with the big lens, especially if she sees a new bird!

Search this Thread