best camera?

Old 05-04-10, 09:02 AM
Wink best camera?

Hello. I am an aspiring photographer and have dreamed of owning my own business in the field. My intention are both portrait related as well as nature. I unfortunately lost a camera in a fire last year, which I hope to soon see the insurance $ back from. But the questions lies there of. Which would be the best camera for me to purchase. Brand name, etc... Know how to capture the moment but don't know my best tool for it. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-10, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Sorry but there is no such thing!

Even if money and physical size were no object experts that devote their lives to the field can not unanimously agree on what is best because it depends on what you need..

As far as brands go Canon and Nikon have a good share of higher end equipment but even with these there is no clear winner.
I would assume you will want an SLR but if you give us a budget for what you want to start with we might have some ideas.

I went with Canon and for me like the feel of full size bodies.
I went with a 40D model which is now replaced with a 50D which is a professional sized camera but with a smaller sensor.
This camera sells for considerably less than full frame models but still gives excellent results.

How much do you plan to spend?

Old 05-04-10, 03:32 PM
well, I'm thinking definatley high end, and yes to SLR, I was expecting to pay around 1,000. Something that can get great nature close-ups as well as portraiture. Wouldn't mind having a bigger camera, size not really applicable just quality. Would love to have a type of telephoto lens that I can get wide shots on too.

Old 05-04-10, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
$1000.00 would only buy a 50D body without any lenses, $1700.00 or so would buy a 50D with two better lenses.
Another way is with the smaller body Canon XSi.
For a thousand dollars you can get two basic lenses with it.

There are many places to buy cameras but here is an example of what I am referring to.

Old 05-04-10, 07:58 PM
I recommend going into a camera store and holding as many cameras that you can. I don't have the full body DSLR, I have the mid range model from Nikon. It was very clear which camera was the best for me after trying to change the manual settings. The Nikon just fit my hands best.

For $1000 you are probably looking at the mid-range DSLRs too, in order to get a body and a decent lens. I would recommend the Nikon D90.

Old 05-05-10, 03:58 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think you can go wrong with either Canon, Nikon or even Sony but I think the $1'000 budget is very low for professional work. Most of the advanced amateur photographers use $5k-$15k worth of gear. Yes a talented person can work with anything but in the very competitive photography business you will be starting out at a disadvantage without good equipment.

You can do good wildlife photography and some landscape & portrait work with a crop frame camera like a 50D or 7D but you almost need a full frame for portrait & wedding work. The improved focusing and lower noise processing of a professional, full sensor camera really do yield improved photos. I would say look for a used full sized sensor camera like a used 1Ds MKII. Unfortunately the 50D is the only Canon body close to $1K without a lens.

Now when you start talking lenses get ready for another price shock. There is a big difference between consumer and professional grade lenses and the lens price will give you a good idea of the quality of the photos. In the Canon line most L series lenses cost as much or more than the camera bodies. The good news is that they can be used for a very long time where the body, a piece of electronic technology, tends to go obsolete as fast as a home computer.

Now, don't forget the computer to store your photographs and do post processing. Photos are large files being 15 meg+ for each photo stored in camera RAW so you need a powerful computer with lots of storage capacity. You will need a way to back-up and archive all those professional photographs. Running on that computer you will also need photo editing software and something like Photoshop CS4 or CS5 and maybe Adobe Lightroom for organization, review and general photo adjustments.

Old 05-05-10, 07:13 AM
Wow! thank you all for your imput. I have a good camera store in town. Haven't browsed there yet, so I'll write down your suggestions and see what they have to offer. If anyone has any tips on business start up that would be great also. It's all just thoughts & dreams right now, haven't put anything down on paper yet. But the excitement & passion I have to get this started is almost overwhelming, although that may be me not knowing how to go about this. Seems like such a feat!

Old 05-05-10, 08:44 AM
Group Moderator
Since you don't seem to mind reading long posts...

I believe that you the photographer are the most important piece of equipment in photography. A good photographer can make great photos with just about any equipment and the best equipment in the world cannot take a picture without the photographer to point the camera and tell it what to do.

The second most important piece of equipment is the lens. This is the first piece of hardware that the image must pass through. The camera body can only work with what the lens gives it. The lenses packaged with most bodies are OK for the average novice photographer taking snapshots. If you start to crop & zoom you can really see the flaws of these less expensive lenses. I've seen entry level bodies produce incredible photographs with a high quality lens. If my budget were limited I would put most of my money in a high quality lens. Research which brand (Canon, Sony, Nikon...) you wish to use and buy the best lens that you can afford. My favorite all round, if I could only have one lens, is the Canon 24-205 f4L which is about $1'100 new or $950 used.

Third on the list of importance is the camera body. This is where I would skimp if starting out. It is a piece of electronics and will probably be replaced and upgraded regularly through your photography courier. Here are some used Canon body prices: XTi or 30D about $325, 50D about $825, 5D for $1'300, or a 1Ds for just under a thousand.

New is always nice but camera equipment can last a long time and there is nothing wrong with buying used. Places like KEH, B&H and Adorama are very reputable places to buy new or used equipment.

Old 05-05-10, 09:09 AM
Hi lalanna,
Just an old camera buff that never chased his photographic dream (:. But I wanted to share a business I ran into years ago, I believe in Canada, but they are on the web now and I believe have many more stores. Successories and they are a dot com. They don't accept freelance work, but their staff has demonstrated an exceptional knack for catching the moment. Not that you sound like you need any inspiration, but their photos are inspiring.

The other point I would note about their photos, and I was looking at them in person, was absolute perfect imaging. At some point, you are going to want the equipment that can produce that.

IMO
Good Luck,
Bud