Inexpensive Digital Camera

Old 05-12-10, 09:56 AM
bhk
Inexpensive Digital Camera

Since you all have been so helpful, I would like advice on buying an inexpensive digital camera.

3 weeks ago I bought a Kodak Easy share C 182; it made a whirring noise, so I returned it. Walmart said "not normal"... Defective? Walmart didn't have another, so I ordered from Best Buy. Same problem.

Best Buy camera folks said it sounded like the processor, but it made the noise all the time. A customer was there, she said she had one, same problem, but to take if off a certain setting and it would be quiet.

Best Buy folks tried that, it still made the noise. Money refunded.

Then I bought a Canon A 490 @ walmart. The info sign said it had image stabilization, which I must have. Brought it home, nothing on the box, looked at website=NO Image stabilization! Money refunded.

I am insisting on AA rechargeable batteries and it seems most of the newer models are coming in with proprietary batteries .

I just need a simple camera,,, with auto focus, AA batteries, Image Stabilization....

Suggestions and input will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-10, 04:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure what your price range is, but I have a Konica/Minolta D'mage SLR, and it is easy on batteries, takes great pictures. Most all the digital cameras will auto focus if you hold the button half way down before you snap the pix. Image stabilization may break the bank, though. My wife's phone (really it is a camera that happens to be a phone) is a Sony Cybershot, 8 mega pixels, image stabilization, all the bells and whistles. I'm pretty impressed with the quality, especially from a phone.

Old 05-12-10, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
No real recommendation...but one thing to remember....check the memory. Not just what the camera has..but if it takes memory cards..how much do they cost? I think SD is about the cheapest..haven't really looked at other formats.

Old 05-12-10, 06:27 PM
Real image stabilization and inexpensive do not exist in the same sentence today.

There are some things that you can look for in a camera to avoid the stabilization price tag. If you have a camera that allows you to program the exposure settings, going to a faster "shutter" speed will minimize movement problems due to subject and/or camera movement. Some cameras use this to advertise stability. Pixels will help.

I just priced what the upgrade would be to change out two EF Canon SLR lenses and decided to just use more judgement since my camera body offers some features that will help if I bother to think a bit.

Dick

Old 05-12-10, 07:04 PM
bhk
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
Real image stabilization and inexpensive do not exist in the same sentence today.

There are some things that you can look for in a camera to avoid the stabilization price tag. If you have a camera that allows you to program the exposure settings, going to a faster "shutter" speed will minimize movement problems due to subject and/or camera movement. Some cameras use this to advertise stability. Pixels will help.

I just priced what the upgrade would be to change out two EF Canon SLR lenses and decided to just use more judgement since my camera body offers some features that will help if I bother to think a bit.

Dick
Since I am most interested in Automatic mode, does faster shutter speed over ride this or make it non existent?

Old 05-13-10, 08:44 AM
Group Moderator
I'm a Canon person so I won't talk about other brands. I currently have two of the SD models but they take proprietary batteries which is a requirement if you want small and sexy. If you go a step larger you can get models that take standard AA batteries.

In the Canon A series you need to get: A3000IS, A3100IS or A1100IS to get image stabilization. All three models are in the $150-$175 range. Of the three I mention, only the A1100IS accepts AA batteries and it has been discontinued, but you can find used ones for less than a hundred dollars. The other two take a Canon proprietary battery. If you move up to the SX line they have what you are looking for, though prices are closer to $200.

Try searching websites like B&H Photo Video. They are a very reputable online retailer and their website allows you to search for point and shoot cameras with image stabilization, but you will have to sift through for a model that accepts AA batteries.