Lens 35mm - digital reusability

Old 12-27-10, 10:06 PM
Lens 35mm - digital reusability

For many years I shot 35mm pictures with a Canon Rebel S body & a Tamron 28-200 zoom lens. I've been thinking about buying a Canon digital body & have wondered if my trusty old Tamron 28-200 would work as well on a digital body...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-10, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator
The lens from a film Rebel should work if it is an EF lens.
It is the older *FD lenses that won't work.

What you will find though is if you purchase a Rebel digital, these models have a sensor that is smaller that the area of 35mm film.
What this means is that the image from your 28-200 will be cropped.
Because the sensor has 60% of the area of film the multiplier for a lens on a "cropped" Canon sensor is 1.6x the lens focal length.

The image will be cropped but it will make your lens appear to be a longer length.
Your 28-200 will have give you the same perspective as a 45-320 mm lens.

Last edited by GregH; 12-28-10 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Typo: FD lenses are the old series, EF are suitable for digital
Old 12-28-10, 02:43 PM
Gregg -

I don't know if it proper to add to the thread, but I have a very similar situation and a common problem that others may be faced with..

My casual and most commonly used camera is a Canon SD1000 ELPH (7.1 MP) because it is small, light, handy and built like a brick. I also have a big Canon EOS 630 and two Canon lenses (an EF 35-105 and a EF 75-300) that have been checked and are optically correct. I had earlier bought a Canon Rebel (no idea of the model), but it apparently had a problem with the contacts for the card, so I was going to have it replaced. At that time newer Rebels were coming out, so I just took the return credit and wait for the dust to settle and prices to stabilize, since this is a set-up I did not need on a daily basis.

Now I am ready to get a newer Canon and use the lenses on a camera with greater resolution (15-19 MP) and possibly lighter, although I frequently use a tripod for telephoto. I understand the change in the effective focal length. Image stabilization lenses would be nice, but not necessary for me

Are there any major pit-falls I should be concerned about before jumping to a Canon digital SLR?

I got the urge today after watching several red fox playing in the snow with younger squirrels for a half hour and not having an appropriate camera to use.

Thanx for any assistance.

Dick

Old 12-28-10, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Hey Dick, no problem.
We can use all the customers we can get here!

I goofed on my previous post and it is the EF and EFS series lenses that are ok for digital.
There is supposed to be a difference in newer EF and EFS lenses being optimized for digital but you might not really notice much difference.

You would do well with Canon.
One thing you will find is that as the technology improves, higher ISO-film speed equivalent settings are also getting much better giving you more flexibility with non stabilized lenses.

Which model are you considering?

Old 12-29-10, 04:10 AM
Group Moderator
The biggest problem I've found when moving up to a higher MP body is that it requires higher quality lenses to utilize the higher resolution. It's not an issue if you don't do heavy cropping or blow them up to be large prints but if you love to really crop/zoom in on your photos then you may become unhappy with your old lenses and start yearning for higher quality glass.

Old 12-04-11, 08:00 AM
Looking back there was more to my request......... I not only want to use my Tamron 28-200 but I also have a Stroboframe Flip Frame handle plus a Quantaray QB 7500 flash gun & a Quantum 1+ battery pack. The flip frame has an extension cable that used to connevt to the hot shoe on my Rebel. Assuming that would also connect to the hot shoe on a DSLR & work the same way? Looking real closely at a Rebel T3.
I'm really hoping to be able to use my old lenses & my flash setup. We almost jumped on a cyber-Monday deal of a Rebel T3, with a pair of lenses, an 18-55 & 75-300 for $599 with a 4GB card.

TexasFire

Old 12-04-11, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
The problem with using old flash units on digital cameras is that some have too high a voltage present on the switched terminals.
When it was a simple switch that fired older units the voltage didn't matter.
The problem comes with the electronic switching that digital cameras now use.
Here is a website that lists flash contact voltages and you can look yours up to make a judgement call as to whether you should do it or not.

I researched my Vivitar flash to see if I could use it on my Canon SLR.
It showed that the contact voltage was too high but opted to use a Wynn Safe-Sync which was SUPPOSED to protect the camera.

It didn't but I was very lucky that only an internal fuse went and was able to be repaired by a local camera shop.
Had it been worse I would have been looking at sending the camera to a depot in another city for a main board change ($$$).

I bought the Canon EX580II and couldn't be happier.
I did since purchase an off-shore wireless remote and can still use my old Vivitar strobes remotely.

Old 12-04-11, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info GregH, it appears from my interpretation of the data table that my Quantaray 7500 uses ~5 volts so I should be good to go.....

TexasFire