vivitar camara won't work after falling in water.

Old 01-08-11, 09:43 PM
vivitar camara won't work after falling in water.

I have a vivitar vivicam 5388 and while at a monster truck show it fell out of my pocket and into the toilet. Needless to say now it does not work. It's been a few hours and i wiped it dry but can still see water on the inside of the LCD screen. Its been in its case in my hot pocket and still does not work. It uses 2 AA batteries.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-11, 12:59 AM
Try burying it in uncooked white rice inside a sealed plastic bin. if that doesn't work I would say it is probably shot.

Old 01-09-11, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
If the water was clean open any doors and remove the batteries and memory card and shake it as hard as you can. If the toilet water was "dirty" I would rinse the camera out several times with distilled water. Then you can use Palmcoast's rice method. You can also balance the camera on the harp of a lamp with a incandescent light bulb where the heat of the bulb can warm the camera and drive out the moisture, the batteries & memory card should be out and with the doors open. Continue drying for at least a day after you think the camera is dry to insure that you get it all out. Then put in new batteries and give it a try.

Old 01-09-11, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Moisture inside electronics is not good but what will kill a device for sure is turning it on when wet.
I would honestly be concerned about your inability to disinfect it regardless of what contents happen to be in the bowl at the time it went for a dip.

We have revived several wet devices, the success rate depended on whether it was turned on and how fast we could dry it.
The best method we have found is to open the device as much as possible and place it on a a steady heat source like a hot water rad or heat register that is less than 120degF.

I would suggest you remove the batteries, open it up as much as possible and leave it on a steady heat source for a few days and see what happens.

Old 01-11-11, 01:31 AM
I can't remove the screws to take it apart as they are small and you need a eyeglass repair kit to remove them. Would putting on a furnace vent be too hot?

Old 01-11-11, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator
What is cheaper, a camera or an eyeglass repair kit but it is probably done for by now.

We have revived several wet devices, the success rate depended on whether it was turned on and how fast we could dry it.
The best method we have found is to open the device as much as possible and place it on a a steady heat source like a hot water rad or heat register that is less than 120degF.
In the future if it happens again:
DON"T TRY TO TURN IT ON, as quickly as possible open it up, shake out as much water as you can, leave it on a heat source for a few days then put in the batteries and try it.

Last edited by GregH; 01-11-11 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-11-11, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
To be honest, Vivitar is low end equipment, I'd replace the camera

Old 01-13-11, 08:36 PM
well it appears to be working again. its a 5MP camera. I have a kodak camera that i have my eye on

Kodak Black 10MP10x Zoom Digital Camera