Canon Remote Shutter controls

Old 04-10-11, 09:30 AM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Canon Remote Shutter controls

I have a Rebel XT.
The one thing it's missing that would be nice on occasion to have it a remote control to release the shutter for group shots.
I understand that their are generics, and Canon offers the RC1, RC5 and RC6 models. I also see that many are limited to a range of 16' or less.
Who has real life experiences with any of these they can share?

Old 04-10-11, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
If you want more range than what the Canon remote trigger offers you would not get it using the system that comes built into your camera.
There are aftermarket wireless remotes that have much greater range than original equipment.
I have an older Nikon 8800 that came with a remote but it is only good for about 15 feet.

A popular high quality unit is made by Pocket Wizard but when I went looking for one for my Canon 40D they were too expensive for my pocketbook.
I shopped around for quite some time and settled for an eBay import that is working very well for me.
These are also available on places like Amazon but there are units like these that don't work too well so you need to do your homework if you go this way.

Click image:

Image courtesy of jiakgongdotcom

The connector to fit your camera is here.

I was actually looking for a remote flash trigger and that is what these are for along with being able to trigger your camera.
If you use one of these for triggering a flash they can not set the eTTL settings in the flash and you have to use the camera in manual mode.

Old 04-10-11, 10:43 AM
K
That is why I am looking for some real life experience with units.
I don't want to be limited to 15' or so if I can help it.
We took some quick family shots using the timer the other day and I noted the camera was some distance away (even with the standard lens) to capture the larger group so a short range unit might not work.
And I am looking for shutter control only, not of my speed lite.
Does anyone know of a wireless unit that can get me more distance that is reasonable?

Old 04-10-11, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Uh, yes.
The unit above or one like it does what you want.

Put the larger piece on the right onto your hotshoe if you are not using the built in flash, or let it hang if you are.
Plug the cord I linked to into the connector on the camera and the other end into the remote.
Turn it on and the small remote will trigger the shutter.

The remote that is in the camera will not work further than you are getting now and you will need a device like what I've shown you.
Not sure exactly what "more distance that is reasonable means".

These units will work to about 100 feet.
Is this what you mean?

Old 04-10-11, 12:09 PM
K
Hmm~I don't know if all these units plug into the hot shoe but it they do that's out as I use a canon 422 series speed lite that goes there for flash work.

Old 04-10-11, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Put the larger piece on the right onto your hotshoe if you are not using the built in flash, or let it hang if you are.
Plug the cord I linked to into the connector on the camera and the other end into the remote.
Turn it on and the small remote will trigger the shutter.
These are accessory items and you would need to adapt them to your camera.
The cord stretches to about 18" so you could use some self adhesive velcro to attach it to your tripod.
As said, the built in wireless system in that camera, as far as I know can not work any better than it is now.
I know Canon has wireless systems for their pro cameras but they cost several times more than your camera is worth.

Keep in mind that once you start using gadgets that are not attached to the camera you are venturing away from point and shoot photography into amateur photography where you increase the learning curve a lot.

Maybe someone has a simpler solution if this doesn't help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: