Battery problem? [Merged Threads]

Old 11-29-11, 05:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Battery problem? [Merged Threads]

I have a HP photosmart 720 series digital camera that has just started behaving strange.

I got a blinking red light in the viewfinder that according to the manual,indicates low battery power.

I charged the two sets of batteries i have,but no go.
I purchased brand new charged batteries,and still the blinking red light,which by the way prevents any further use of the camera.

Camera is about 8 years old ,and I'm wondering if its time for a new camera.

Thoughts appreciated

Old 11-29-11, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
According to the manual a blinking red light in the viewfinder could mean:

camera is either: starting up, charging the battery, sending/receiving USB, counting down self-timer, or there is an error
(turn on Image Display to see
message)
What do you see in the Status LCD screen?

Camera info.

Old 11-30-11, 09:41 AM
I fully charged the 2 sets batteries last night,and now i don't get any responce at. Not even a welcoming screen.

Old 11-30-11, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Only thing I can think of to try is to remove the memory card.
Otherwise it would be time to shop for a new camera.

Old 12-02-11, 05:35 PM
Just bought a new camera

Thanks everyone for your inputs

daswede

Old 12-02-11, 06:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Well, what did you get? I am currently looking for a new "backup" camera for my DSLR.

Old 12-10-11, 10:38 AM
I got a Canon PowerShot A3300 IS that was recommended by the salesperson.

For a relatively simple camera it has a lot of software and features that i know i'll probably never use
I think i'm going to enjoy it once i figure out how to download the pics. to my computer

Old 12-10-11, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
How were you downloading images before?

Canon has pretty decent software and you should have a disk with ZoomBrowser EX that came with your new camera.
It will automatically take images off your camera but there are a few settings you may have to make.
One is the location of the folders as they are removed from the camera and the other is whether you want them to be deleted from the memory card as they are transferred.

If you install that program and plug in the camera you should see some action.

If you need any help with this just holler!

Old 12-13-11, 09:23 AM
Thanks much for your offer.

I'm having a problem not being able to transfer/view on my computer from the camera.

I took a couple of pics.,connected the camera to the computer via USB cable supplied. Turned on camera and got a window saying "Failed to import images". I tried to connect using a multi port USB hub,and directly to the computer from camera with no luck.

A friend said i need WINDOWS 7 software.
I must admit i'm a novice here. Is there some way i could check to find out what windows software i have? I didn't have any issues with my previous camera software.

Thanks

Old 12-13-11, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thats very odd it seems to me. Our Canon has worked just fine with my wifes PCs...both Vista and W7. Just load the software or use the native photo software.

It also works fine with my older XP system.

As to checking what Windows you have....just open control panel and select system or my computer and system information. Both are (should be) listed in the Start menu at the lower left.

btw....we don't even have to turn on the camera...as soon as its connected it comes on in the view image mode and whatever software pops up and asks what we want to do.

Old 12-13-11, 10:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Are you using the software supplied with the camera? I have had some issues with it but if I just plug in the camera and view it like a thumb drive or other portable device it's worked on every computer I've tried.

Old 12-13-11, 11:11 AM
Computer is running Windows XP.

My previous HP camera's software automatically opened up when i put the camera in the Camera 'dock'.

Another issue is that the "pictures" are in the camera's software window page,but not in the MY PICTURES folder on the computer. It seems like a step is not being completed by the Camera software,or me.

Old 12-14-11, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator
It sounds like your previous cameras software might be causing the problem.
Some older programs were proprietary
and may not like your new camera.

You might want to try to remove all traces of the HP software and install the Canon program.
In the camera software on your computer there are settings where you can set where the pics go when downloaded.

Old 12-14-11, 03:23 PM
I think you may be right. I'm going to search around with the old camera software and see if thats the problem.

I'll post back in a couple days with what i find.

Old 12-14-11, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
The software for your old camera could be "HP Photosmart Essentials" or similar.
If you first go to "Add Remove Programs" in the control panel you may find the software that may be causing the problem.

HP Link

Old 12-15-11, 08:47 AM
Thanks. I'll check that more this week-end

Old 12-18-11, 02:36 PM
Update:

Well,with the help of a neighbor, i finally was able to upload pics. to 'my picture' folder.

As was commented by Pilot Dan,and Greg H. the simple download was strange. I had to open another file folder and download into that. I don't really understand it all,but at least i can deposit pics in ' My pictures' folder,which brings up another question.
The downloaded pics. end up individually, rather than all of them in single folder window. I vaguely remember from many years ago when this happened i was able to get into a file that would allow me a choice to do so.

Any words of wisdom here?

Many thanks for everyones input here.

Old 12-18-11, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Were you able to successfully remove the HP software and replace it with the Canon program?

You change the image download preferences through the camera's software.
Installing the Canon disk would be the first place to start.

Old 12-19-11, 05:38 PM
I checked the Disc software installation, and everything installed o.k.
I would prefer to install a series of photos in its own folder,rather than each pic. having its own folder.

Thanks for hanging in there with me

Old 12-20-11, 05:02 AM
P
Group Moderator
I have never been a big fan of the Canon software. You have to buy it but I much prefer to use Adobe Lightroom. It does most basic photo editing but it's real claim to fame is it's file handling and organization. A real benefit if you take pictures by the thousand.

Old 12-20-11, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Is Zoombrowser the program you have?
I don't have that one but if you look in the properties section you should find where you select file locations and how you want the images filed.

A handy way is to file by date uploaded as the folder name.

Old 12-21-11, 08:22 AM
Yes,i have zoombrowser ex

I will search to find how to put downloaded pics. in one folder window.

Thanks for hanging in there with me

Old 12-22-11, 06:42 AM
Update:

I am able to upload pics. to MY PICTURE folder now even though each pic. installs in its own window.

I guess i was spoiled by my former H.P. software uploads using a camera dock.

I can insert the camera memory card in the computer slot to view pics.

I will play around with this software more.

Thanks to you all for hanging in there with me,although i have a feeling " i"ll be back"

daswede

Old 12-22-11, 06:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by daswede
...I am able to upload pics. to MY PICTURE folder now even though each pic. installs in its own window.
When you say "in its own window" do you mean that each photo is going into an individual folder or you are seeing a thumbnail of each photo?

If you are seeing a thumbnail of each picture it's probably the display setting for that folder. If you right click somewhere inside the folder, but not on a picture, a window will open. Select the top option "view" and you will see a list of choices how to display your picture files.

Old 12-22-11, 08:15 AM
Thanks for your reply,

As a example, i took 4 pictures, and uploaded them to "my pictures" folder.
Each picture was displayed singularly in the 'MY pictures" folder. Not as a group of 4 in this file/folder

whereas, i would prefer to have all the pics deposited in one folder window that i could open, and view if i wished. This would also save space in "my picture" folder

I guess what I'm saying is that in the past with my other camera
settings,when i uploaded pics. in "my picture" ,they all appeared in one file,then i could open this file, and look at the individual pics and not have a series of individual pics.from this one upload displayed as they are now.

Old 02-12-12, 03:31 PM
Canon powershot A3300 IS

I seem to have forgotten how to upload pictures from camera in a SINGLE folder in my "my pictures" main folder.

When i upload my pictures to the folder they appear singularly in their own folder rather than all in one folder.

I'm using Windows Internet Explorer. Any help for a old coot would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-12-12, 05:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
How are you uploading them? Are you using a photo program or simply copying the files from your camera to your computer?

Old 02-12-12, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Smile We have been here before and I merged this recent post with one from last Decemb

I merged your new thread on this with one from last December.

We last determined that you are using Canon's Zoombrowser software.
Is this so?

In the settings menu for this program there will be choices for how you want the pics to be filed.
Have you scrolled through the menus looking for these settings?

Old 02-13-12, 08:11 AM
Thanks GregH and Pilot Dane for your replies.

I connect the Camera to the computer,and open the "my picture" folder,and the pictures open in singularly in their own folder window ,rather than all in one folder window

Old 02-13-12, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Ok.

There will be something happening between when you "connect the Camera to the computer" and "open the "my picture" folder".

The software you are using has an autorun feature that will when you plug in the camera, detect that and do a predetermined operation........the operation being to put the images in a folder in a pre-determined filing method.
It is currently set to do what you are getting.

You need to tell us exactly what you are seeing on the screen when you plug in the camera. for us to be sure that it even is the Zoombrowser software that is opening.

Maybe not the same as yours but here is what the Zoombrowser I have looks like and is where you would change the settings:

The first one to click on this page is "Camera and aquire settings" then "Connect to camera".

On this page you would select "Preferences" where the last screen shown will open.

This screen is where you select what you want the software to do.

Old 02-14-12, 12:57 PM
Followup,
I played around with the software program,and got the pictures uploaded to the "my pictures" program on my computer.

It was 'pilot error' on my part by not following the computer program directions on the installed software.

I'm embarrassed that once i got my head together,everything is operating fine now

Thanks to you Pilot Dane and Greg H ,I'm a happy camper. At least till next time

Old 02-20-12, 02:27 PM
H
With my Nikon camera I don't use the camera cord or the Nikon software(which unfortunately was only trial software) I always use Windows 7 software, with a card reader, which like Windows XP has a way to manage pictures. I also periodically try to go through my pictures that I have stored on my computer and weed out copies when I have the time which isn't very often. Microsoft has a program called Digital Image that you can buy that I highly recommend as it does the same things that all of the rest of the programs do but I found it wasn't too expensive. I bought my software from a software outlet that sells software at a discount including genuine Microsoft products.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: