Canon Power Shot and re-chargeable batteries

Old 07-15-12, 12:53 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Canon Power Shot and re-chargeable batteries

I have a Canon PowerShot A590IS. It's a great camera. I've had it for a few years. My husband bought me rechargeable batteries (Sanyo) for this camera because there were GREAT reviews online. Here is the problem. I use the camera with the rechargeable batteries for a short time, the (red) battery blinks to show low battery and then the camera shuts off & says change battery. Then my husband checks the batteries with his battery tester & the batteries test near FULL! I don't understand this. I'm guessing there is something wrong with the camera. It does last MUCH longer with regular batteries. Any idea of the real problem before I take the camera in for fixing? Thanks/Jina

Old 07-15-12, 01:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Rechargeable batteries are often two or three tenths of a volt less then a disposable battery depending on their exact composition. Try a new disposable alkaline battery and see if you have the same problem. Note an alkaline cell is ~1.5 volts a nicad ~1.2 volts. Of course you haven't said what kind of rechargeable battery so we can only guess.

Old 07-15-12, 01:36 PM
T
Canon Power Shot and re-chargeable batteries

Hi Ray-Yes, I did say that with a regular disposable battery, the camera lasts much longer. The rechargeable batteries are Sanyo Eneloop. Thanks/Jina

Old 07-15-12, 03:17 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Those are NIMH batteries. NiMH have a voltage of 1.2 volts. I would say it is the low voltage even when fully charged that is tripping the camera. Since disposable batteries work fine I'd say nothing wrong with the camera. It was just not designed to work on the lower voltage of rechargeable batteries. If it uses four batteries in series that is 6 volts for disposable batteries and only 4.8 volts for the rechargeable batteries.

Old 07-15-12, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Try the lithium batteries..though more expensive will last longer and recharge your flash quicker than regular alkalines...or so I read.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 07-15-12 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-17-12, 08:51 PM
H
Gunguy45 is right lithium batteries are better but there are two types rechargeable and non rechargeable. The non rechargeable are better than regular alkaline but not by a great deal of time. You should be able to use your charger you have now for the rechargeable lithium battery and have a longer time between charges versus regular rechargeable batteries. Not only that you will help save the environment by doing so and save money in the long run.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: