Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Recreational Hobbies, Photography, Arts and Crafts > Photography - Digital & Film
Reload this Page >

Photo software storage for catergorizing and retreival [Relocated thread]

Old 04-09-13, 08:31 PM

I have 5,000 to 10,000 photos on my desktop and need a good software program for organization (easy to do), but for retrieval based on keywords in a separate entry.

I previously uses a Jasc program along with a companion program for sorting and retrieving. Unfortunately, Corel bought Jasc and have had a system that has deteriorated, especially after a crash the eliminated some programs. The current Corel program is near impossible to use for my needs (as I think I have discovered).

Ideally, I would like to keep my photos in albums, which is easy, but many of the photos could be in multiple albums compounding the number of possible photos cross-referenced especially with a growing number of photos.

I do restoration of photos and need to both originals and modified versions. I also an into genealogy and have over 10,000 people in my family trees with whatever photos I have or want to collect in the future.

I would like to have a photo file (could contain photos in defined albums), but also the ability to search using keywords attached to each photo. The keyword could be a date, year, name, individual, location, occasion, holiday, subject, or a multiple of those items.

I am not looking for cheap or free program, but an established one that has the flexibility to get photos easily and work with a good photo editing and restoring software program.

I know this is out there in some form, but have not stumbled on it.

Dick

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-13, 03:36 AM
I am doing the same kind of work on photos you are doing. Until today though I hadn't thought too much about organizing my photos. I am not doing this as a profession at least not yet and I am wondering if you are doing this on a professional basis or is this just a hobby? The reason I ask is that there are some free programs I found while doing a Bing search of photo sorting software. I know you said no free stuff but sometimes the free programs are better than the paid versions. I did find a comparison website that gives prices of various brands of software that you want here is the link Photo Organizing Software Review 2013 | Best Photo Orgainzer Software | Organize Digital Photos - TopTenREVIEWS . Some look like older programs written for Windows XP but should still be able to work in Windows 7 in XP mode. This is a good start but I imagine there are even more programs out there than what are listed.

Old 04-10-13, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
I take about 10k photos a year use Adobe Lightroom. It's very strong at file organization and has good tagging, scoring and search features so you can more easily locate the old photo you want. It allows stock adjustments and copyright information to be added automatically when photos are imported. It has most common photo editing tools but lacks the ability to completely hack a photo like Photoshop. Lightroom also can create multiple copies and edits of photos without taking up a lot of disk space since it keeps the original photo file unedited. Any edits or modifications you make are stored in a separate file as edit commands that get applied to the original. Even if you forgot to make a duplicate or do "save as" and start editing the original is always saved unedited.

Old 04-10-13, 07:43 AM
I was going to say Lightroom, but Pilot Dane beat me to it. I also haven't personally used it.
I've been using Adobe Bridge (same idea as Lightroom, but comes with the PhotoShop suite).

As with the other posters, I do photo restoration, but also have many years of photography to store and sort. I believe my off site backup the last time I did it was close to 20 DVDs (I don't back up the raw files).

It's time consuming to play catch up with the key words. For me, I'll do photo creation on occation, so I had to use key words like "dog", "tree", etc so I could search and sort my stock photos for pieces I may want or need.

Old 04-12-13, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
Curious to know how your pics are currently filed?

I have tried the Fuji, Nikon and Canon software that came with the different cameras I have owned and for me found the best way to deal with a large number of files was to manually create a folder each time I emptied the memory card.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind but for me the date the memory card was emptied was the date I chose for the folder.
Starting with the year then to break down each year into quarters then the folder for each offload would be the date the card was filed.
IOW the folder for images taken off a card today would be named 2013_0412
Images would be tagged by adding a keyword to the file-name which makes it pretty easy to find things.

Not sure if this sounds complicated but in the folders above are over 45k of files in over 1k of folders and although it is evolving things are pretty easy to find.