DIY Lighting

Old 05-05-13, 09:05 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DIY Lighting

I need to cut down on the start up costs of getting a WebShow going. The utility halogen bulb lighting in my budget doesn't have shades. Do you know of any DIY solutions for this?

Old 05-05-13, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What are you taking photos of? What are the lights you are currently looking at?

Old 05-06-13, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I assume you are using a construction type lamp that is in a metal enclosure.

Halogen lighting for photography is best when it is indirect.
A studio will bounce the light off a white umbrella that is open towards the subject.
You could use some other type of white reflector but you need to be careful as halogen lamps can easily start a fire.

It will take a fair amount of wattage likely well over 1000 watts total.
Make sure the bulbs that are in the fixture are rated at 120 volts as the long life 130 volt type give off a less that white light.

Old 05-07-13, 05:50 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
If the OP would return with more information regarding their "WebShow", I could provide them with the information they are looking for.
By the sounds of it, they are looking for barn door style shutters for their pre-existing/already owned lights.

Although not my prefered way of doing things (don't like this type of lighting), there are plenty of sources for DIY designs or commercially available aftermarket kits. Knowing what the OP is working with (make/model) is a huge factor.
If I was doing a small set video, I'd personally go with a large light box arrangement. Using a large white (thin) sheet or raw cloth material, create a wall with the material between the person being filmed and the lights. The light will hit the material, softening the light and reducing the shadows drasticly. The larger the sheet (and light source) the better quality light.
I've done this for still photography with cars. I had the wife stich a few white sheets together, and we used 4 2ftx4ft (4bulb) florecent fixtures. I don't remember the bulb color temp however.

Old 06-24-13, 08:19 PM
Y
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I like halogen lights, but they are a bit dodgy when it comes to safety concerns. What kind of space will you be working on? I know this is an old thread, so I hope you figured it all out and might share with us the outcome?

Old 06-24-13, 08:48 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yeele, the original post never came back to the forum after making his post on May fith so I doubt he will see your answer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: