Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Recreational Hobbies, Photography, Arts and Crafts > Photography - Digital & Film
Reload this Page >

what types of instrument do I need to be an expert photographer?

what types of instrument do I need to be an expert photographer?

Old 04-16-13, 05:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lightbulb what types of instrument do I need to be an expert photographer?

HI Everyone,
I am Tajul Islam from Bangladesh. I love traveling. That's why I love to learn photography. Can anyone tell me what types of instrument do I need to be an expert photographer?

:NO NO NO:

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-13, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Welcome to our forums!

The instrument that would be the most help is a book on basic photography.
You also of course would need a camera but even the most simple have some of the adjustments of more expensive models.

Take a modest digital camera and learn what the settings are other than fully automatic.
If you learn what Av and Tv, settings mean and how to use them you will be long on your way.
Another that all cameras have is the ISO setting and is an adjustment that you need to know the meaning of and how to use it.
Depth of field is another term that refers to how much of a picture is in focus and is something you should know.

There are many more settings to learn but no matter how good of a camera you buy it will be a waste of money until you know how to use it properly.

Old 04-16-13, 02:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Becoming an "expert" photographer will take years and years of patience and learning. Some people snap a picture, sell it for money and think they are "photographers". They are photo snappers. When you have the dedication to lug an 8x10 negative wooden box camera to the top of a mountain, take light readings repeatedly until the time is right, snap one shot and return.....then you are on the road. Learn from the masters. Read books as Greg stated, especially ones written by or in collaboration with photographers.

Old 04-23-13, 01:31 PM
I agree with what Chandler and GregH said but would like to add that the best photographers never think they are the best. With photography just like with anything else you are always trying to improve your craft. Here is a tip to making a good picture with both of your hands make a picture frame. When you look through the picture frame what do you see? Do you see a good picture or do you see something that doesn't interest you? Even a terrible area though can have beauty so move your picture frame around until you find something you like.

Once you do that enough with just your hands then go and buy just a cheap point and shoot digital camera. Keep in mind though that what you see through the viewfinder you look into will not be the same as the picture because you are not looking directly through the lens so be mindful of that.

Once you get used to that camera and think you are really good at it buy a dslr which will allow you to see exactly what you are taking a picture of. I see so many people using digital cameras and looking at the screen instead of through the viewfinder and that is wrong. Always use the viewfinder no matter what type of camera you have.

If you are taking pictures on a tripod then that is the time to look at the screen as most likely you might want to be in the picture too. About all of the better point and shoots have a built in timer. Good luck to you I hope you enjoy photography!