movies

Old 12-01-13, 12:48 PM
movies

Hello - Win 8.1 Win Media Center
I import videos from my Flip mp4 and Canon Powershot.
I then use Ashampoo 6.0 to create videos for WMP and dvds.
I do knot know the extensions etc. but do know it says they can be played from pcs only which is fine.
I view them on my WMP and the disc I burn.
When I send them to others either as an attachment or from SkyDrive as a link they do not play continuously and they have to click on each file at a time to view.
They do not have Win 8 and most have Win 7 or less.
How can I send them so they can be viewed as a running movie like I have at home?
Thank you
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-13, 07:36 PM
Hi Peter - Digital video can be really confusing as it really does go a lot beyond just knowing the extensions. Beneath the extensions which are basically containers, there are many options for codec's, bit rates, frame rates and more...that will have a significant impact on the ability for others to view. Further, others - be it Mac, PC or otherwise will need the necessary players and/or codecs installed in order to view your video. The version of windows or mac is actually a lot less relevant.

Certainly there are some real standard configurations that most users can view. These will be used but the Youtube's of the world.

I'm not that familiar with A Shampoo but if you can go through your process and describe the settings options that you have as you output, I may be able to guide you through to where you can set up a generic format that most people can view. Don't forget the audio setting options too.

Additionally you're going to need to consider size. It's always a challenge to balance size with your method of delivering the video. You can create a 20 minute high-definition video that looks and sounds beautiful....and is 20GB in size. You can't just email something like that...

You're delving into a world that can be very complex but if you're just looking to share video with friends and such, we can probably work out a reliable solution for you.

Also, if you're not ready to invest in a high-end suite, Avidemux is a rather powerful freeware video editing software that, while may have a bit of a learning curve, will give you some nice options.

Maybe tell me a bit about the video you want to put together as well...

I could write a book here so the more I know, the more I can be specific about how to get you where you want to be.

Old 12-10-13, 08:25 AM
videos

Hello
Hello TJ
I have used my Flip camera(MP4) and my Canon Powershot infrequently.
I import the files then burn them with Ashampoo as I said. I realize others may not be able to play my videos but when my pc goes it would be a shame to have wasted about a dozen dvds of family.
Maybe the attachment will give you an idea of what Ashampoo looks like. I use Burn movies + Just copy movie files to dvd.
So far my WMP and my DVDs have produced movies that run fine. Whether they play on others is the question. One thing to note is I never send raw files. I only have dvds which need a pc to play them.
Thank you
Peter

Old 12-10-13, 08:49 AM
movies

Hello TJ
I apologize for the miscue in the previous post about the attachment.
I hope this is better and helps to show you the names of the extensions and choices..
Peter

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-13, 08:56 AM
mod help

Please help me remove the first attachment and leave the 2nd so no one can see the name of the burner - thank you. I really goofed and I apologize.
Peter

I am sorry to bother you - I finally got it right.

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-13, 10:09 AM
Hey - I think I can solve this problem without sending you down a path that can be quite complex.

If you only need to burn DVDs of your video for archive then the process will be a lot easier. When you burn a DVD it's not unlike saving any digital video file to your hard drive. Just that the DVD essentially becomes the hard drive and (this part is important) that DVDs use a file type which I believe is the I me one that's considered to be one of the few that is truly standard. This means that any DVD should be able to play a DVD that you burn.

When you burn a DVD you're creating and putting on the disk a number of file formats, the key one being .vob

It is this file format that all DVD players and DVD playing applications are made to play. The rest of the files have other functions that include menu and other content. We'll put that aside for now.

OK - if you're burning DVDs and are finding that you cannot play them on other computers or DVD players I think its almost guaranteed to be one thing.

All DVD burning software and even stand alone DVD burners have a function know as "disk finalizing" (or similar name) after burning data to your disk you will need to finalize it before it can be played on most other devices. The finalizing process puts in some critical files that make it comply to the DVD "standard".

If you don't finalize indeed you would need a computer set up like yours with A Shampoo in order to play back the disks.

Why you ask, does it burn the disks this way? Well, before you finalize the disk you can go back and add more video (or other data) after the initial burn until the disk is full. Once you finalize your project is...well, final and you can't put any more on that disk.

Try burning a video disk. After the burn completes see if you are promoted, of if there's an option to finalize the disk. If you do this and everything goes the way it should you should be left with and d that can be played by anything designed to play DVDs .

Couple of things about DVDs that you should know:

- DVD is NOT HD quality. Everything you burn to DVD will be downgraded to the best standard definition that DVD will support. If you want to save in HD it's not a lot more difficult however you'd need a blue ray burner and disks, or learn. Bunch about digital storage.

Disks of any kind are not guaranteed to store their contents forever. Last I heard is that they could start to degrade in perhaps 20 years. For important stuff I'd recommend making multiple copies the checking every few years and making new copies then to make sure its on fresh disks. Even hard drives are not immune to this problem. Use good quality disks, not those you get at the discount store.

I hope this all makes sense and helps.

Old 12-10-13, 01:19 PM
movies

Thank you so much for your useful information.
It seems that I should have finalized each dvd but it is too late now. I will look for that feature in the future.
I doubt there is away to do it now.
I will read your information over a few times.
Btw, I would be near 100 in 20 years but maybe my descendants will have a new means of transposing the videos in the near future.
Thanks you
peter

Old 12-10-13, 01:24 PM
If you still have those disks you can still put them back in and finalize them

Old 12-10-13, 01:35 PM
movies

I still do and thank you so much
Peter

Old 12-10-13, 01:47 PM
No problem. Hope it helps.

Old 12-10-13, 01:48 PM
finalizing

Hello again
I will be doing this tomorrow. Is there a tip you can give me as I don't know what to do and do not want to ruin my family dvds?
Thank you
Peter

Old 12-10-13, 01:51 PM
Burn some video to disk the way you normally do. Just a bit so its fast. Then run a test with that. I can have a look at shampoo specifically later this evening. What version of the software do you use?

Old 12-10-13, 02:08 PM
finalizing

Hi
I use version 6.84 as the other newer ones were full of "clutter"
I look forward to doing this tomorrow or whenever you get around to telling me about it.
Thanks again
Peter

Old 12-10-13, 05:54 PM
Hi Peter. Unless you're using re-writable disks there's nothing you can do to hurt the video that's already there. At worst you can only add to whatever material is on the DVD.

Again, without having any version of A Shampoo available to me to run through the process, for your piece of mind you can burn a DVD as you did before. Then take it out and replace it as you would your others. You'll be able to finalize the disk this way.

If you're super-paranoid about it then you could back up your DVD's by this method prior to finalizing them:

1) Create a folder on your desktop with the name of your backup. "Birthday Nov 2 or whatever)

2) Place your DVD in the drive. If any programs open up that want to play the DVD just close them.

3) Open Windows Explorer (not internet Explorer) this can be done by holding on the windows key (the one to the left of the ALT key) and pressing "e".

4) On the left where you see the list of drives you'll see an icon that represents the DVD player. Right click on this icon to bring up the context menu and select "explore" or "expand". This will expose all the files contained in the DVD.

5) Select all of these files and drag them into the backup folder you created on your desktop.

Once this transfer is complete you can do whatever you like to the DVD knowing the contents are stored safely on your computers hard drive.

Now go and open A Shampoo and finalize the disk. Once you've done that, go try the disk on a regular DVD player.

Attached Images  
Old 12-11-13, 07:24 AM
movies

Hello again
I have made note of your directions and will see what I can do. At least I know to save my files before I lose them.
That is a clever way to save files.
I appreciate all of your work and thank you.
Peter

Old 12-11-13, 07:43 AM
Movies

Hi Again
I though you might find this information useful. Maybe technology is moving along and being helpful.

This option usually doesn't need to be changed, since finalizing a disc prevents you from changing it again later. However, there are two circumstances where you might want to create a finalized disc:

1. Some CD players (the kind in a car or your stereo, not in a computer) cannot read CDs that are not finalized. However, the majority of these devices will accept them.

2. You can squeeze slightly more data onto a CD if you finalize it. So if your files are slightly too big for the CD activating the finalize option might help.

Peter

Old 12-12-13, 08:23 AM
TJ
I forgot to ask, "If I take the files out of the disc and into a folder for protection then finalize the disc, do I have to put the files back in or are they still there and I just test the disc, keeping the extracted files aside in case?"
If I damage the disc by trying to finalize it, how do I put the files back into the same or new disc?
Thank you again -I'll give it a try and let you know.
Peter

Old 12-14-13, 03:15 PM
movies

Hi TJ
I just wanted you to know I solved the problem of finalizing or saving the already burned video.
After exhausting Ashampoo which does all except what I wanted unless it was before finishing the burning, I went to Windows Movie Maker.
This is with Win 8.1 and I imported the movie. After importing I could edit but did not then go to the scroll to 'save' which gives a lot of options. I chose the recommended 'saving' which enabled it to close and play on other pcs.
Hope this helps
Peter

Old 12-15-13, 11:12 AM
movies

Hi TJ
I wanted to correct my last post. I don't think Win Movie maker does anything but save the movie although it did say "end" when I finished.
Instead I think by default Ashampoo finalized the dvds b/c when I tried to add or remove files (which is an option with Ashampoo) it would not allow me to do so. I think this indicates it is finalized .
I have been able to play my dvds on 3 different pcs with no problem.
Peter