Scan pictures (OLD) or negatives

Old 12-18-13, 09:51 AM
Scan pictures (OLD) or negatives

I have old pictures (30-40 years) with a lot of negatives.The pictures are in the plastic holders and the negatives are in envelopes.Would scanning pictures in plastic be OK or would it be better to scan the negatives. What would be the best way to digitize them.Any ideas

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-13, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
The prints are made from the negative so I would try to have the negatives scanned since that is the original and would be of the highest quality. In NYC there are probably hundreds of places that will scan negatives for you so there may not be a need to buy a scanner.

Most prints are not 100% stable and can have a limited life as acids in the paper and chemicals from processing break down so old photos can be hit or miss. If the pictures will come out of the plastic sleeves without damage and if you already have a flat bed scanner then give it a try. You don't have anything to loose. But since you are scanning a copy made from the negative it's not the best source.

Old 12-20-13, 12:15 PM
I have been working off and on scanning negatives and using a flat bed scanner made by Canon it works for 35mm film but isn't good at all for larger negatives. Depending on how many negatives you have it is true you might find having a service do the job would be cheaper and certainly easier. However if you have many negatives then I certainly would be using a negative scanner and one that is dedicated to negatives only. A friend of mine told me about a dedicated scanner he has and it certainly seems to be easier.

I will give you a link to one or two I think will be best for all large and small negatives and the main results page Amazon.com gave me. I don't remember the name of my friends scanner but have found something like his here is the first link and is for a scanner I bought for larger negatives Amazon.com: Epson B11B198011 Perfection V600 Photo Scanner: Electronics . It works well for very large negatives and photos . I found this that doesn't require a computer and is a bit cheaper Amazon.com : Pacific Image Elect Menorease ST Multi-format Film Converter Scanner : Slide And Negative Scanners : Electronics .

This is just a broader look at the various negative scanners all of which have their strengths and weaknesses Amazon.com: negative scanner - Slide & Negative Scanners / Scanners: Electronics . I am not really recommending any of these in particular and I suggest you read the reviews but not necessarily go by just the reviews on Amazon.com but look elsewhere too to decide. None of these are ever perfect but they all do a fairly decent job.