Memory card trouble

Old 03-30-14, 05:21 AM
Memory card trouble

Last year I purchased a Nikon D7000 and took many pictures which were stored on a SanDisk extreme memory card. The camera was stored in a closet for several months out of harms way, however, when I recently tried to use the camera to try and snap some pictures it is telling me that my memory card is not formatted and to format the card. I did try and reformat the card with the camera but nothing happened. The camera is still telling me to format the card. Are the pictures I took still possibly on the memory card? Will I ever be able to use this card again or is it trash now? Please help! I have enclosed a pic of the memory card. Ok site will not let me upload pic either says upload failed not sure why

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-14, 07:49 AM
Group Moderator
Have you removed the card from the camera and tried to read the card on your computer? Not sure what good a picture of the card would do but http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html.

Old 03-30-14, 10:34 PM
Usually once a card is formatted what is on the card is gone. I imagine that something happened to the card perhaps static electricity was the culprit really hard to say for sure. I did do some looking on the internet for recovery software for SD cards but I am reluctant to recommend any of them as I don't have any experience with that kind of software. I suggest you use a different card to check the camera out and then if you still have problems to contact Nikon.

Another tip for including pictures here is to use Pixresizer you can find a download here Download PIXResizer 2.0.6 (Free) for Windows . I suggest though that you first run a scan of the software before using it even though this appears to be a safe website. I would do that for any data recovery software for SD cards you find too to be safe. I don't think you need a picture of the SD card either but if you decide to post a picture Pixresizer will make it easier by making the picture file smaller while keeping the original file.

Old 03-31-14, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator
The memory card maker Lexar has software called Image Rescue that is able to recover images from some corrupt cards and when they have been inadvertently deleted.
However, reformatting the card if it was successful may have permanently deleted them.

You should also as suggested try to view the files using a memory card reader on your computer.

Old 03-31-14, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
For future reference SanDisk ships most/all of their memory cards with RescuePRO a recovery software similar to Lexar's Image Rescue pre-loaded onto the device. Copy it to your computer for future use if you want to recover deleted images from a memory card.

If you wanted the pictures off your memory card... formatting the card was not the thing to do. When in doubt or if you have trouble with a memory card. First try it in a different device like a computer and back up any data you want to keep.

Have you tried inserting and removing the card several times in the camera to help insure all the contacts are making a good connection? Have you tried the card in a computer? If it worked in a computer and not in the camera then it's possible there is something wrong with the camera in which case I would next reboot the camera.

Old 03-31-14, 03:29 PM
Thank you, I don't believe the reformat was successful because I still get the same prompt that the card needs formatted. The pictures are not really so much of an issue more as the card cost me about $75 due to the speed and type of card for the high end camera and would rather not buy another one if I can get this one to work. I will try and view the card from a reader on the computer and go from there. Thank you for the help!

Old 03-31-14, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Geeze $75. You buy it at a camera store or something? I just bought a Scandisk micro SD 16Gb class 4 for $9 on Ebay. I ask because I have seen outrageous mark ups on accessories like cables at places like chain office supply stores. Since it just has to store 1s and 0s I have to wonder at the price and if the speed is that important.

Old 03-31-14, 08:21 PM
I have to agree with Ray I personally think you are paying way too much for a memory card. I don't buy as much from e-bay anymore but do find great deals for memory cards on Amazon.com. I would also check at pharmacies too they usually have great prices for memory cards. I have a cousin to your camera a Nikon D3000 I bought on e-bay a few years ago and didn't pay anything near what you paid. The pictures are great too and I haven't had one day of trouble with it.

Old 04-01-14, 05:20 AM
Group Moderator
Formatting the card has little to do with the camera's inability to read it. It's often caused by poor contact or a glitch or in the camera. The same thing often (reatively) are errors not communicating with the lens.

Did you try inserting and removing the card several times? Did you try the memory card in another device like a computer? Did you reboot the camera?