Sanyo VPC-GH4 - power supply through USB port?

Old 09-04-14, 07:49 AM
Sanyo VPC-GH4 - power supply through USB port?

I have a Sanyo VPC-GH4 hd camcorder. The batteries only last 10-20 minutes so I was wondering if I could power the camera through the USB port - say connect one of those USB power packs to the camera by way of the USB port? Normally it runs off a very bad battery. There is also an a/c adapter plug on the camera that I use when near an a/c plug - but will it work off the USB? I tried turning on the camera when it was plugged into a computer by way of USB and with no battery in it and it wouldn't turn on - but this might be because it needed a battery. I know other devices do run off of these USB "power banks", but will this specific camera? I've tried the Sanyo help site but since Sanyo sold out to Panasonic some of the links don't work and I can't get any help from their site. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-14, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
From what I could see in the manual.... the camera will not run off the USB port.
That port is just for data exchange.

Old 09-18-14, 09:08 AM
Follow up

As I was/am still frustrated with the length of battery life for this camcorder, I hooked up an external AA battery pack to run the camcorder through the external DC jack. The camcorder normally runs with either the 3.7v(battery) or 5v(dc) so I am using 3 AA batteries (4.5v) and a jack from the local electronics store (Baynesville Electronics - what a great store). I tested it last night and the camera seems to run perfectly fine using the 4.5v AA battery pack. Question - what unintended consequences am I missing in using this? I can see that at some point the batteries will go dead and the camera may not give me a warning and so any file in progress may get corrupted, is this a worry I should have? What other problems may occur that I have not thought of? How long should I expect one set of 3 AA batteries to last? Thanks.

Old 09-18-14, 09:54 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think you'll cause any long term problems but I'm fairly certain you won't get very much battery life/recording time from AA batteries.

Old 09-19-14, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
Instead of jury rigging disposable batteries, offshore batteries may be an inexpensive alternative.
I purchased a couple offshore spares with a Canon camera purchase some time ago and although they did not last as long as the original Canon battery, I got several years use out of them.

Keep in mind that there are also differing quality levels in offshore products so try to scope out legitimate user reviews on these products.

Search this Thread