fix camera button

Old 11-07-14, 08:44 AM
fix camera button

I have an older model Canon Powershot Digital Elph camera, model SD 110. There's a four-way button on the backside (the big circular one that can be seen in this photo with the flower, the arrow, and the other two icons/symbols), sort of a spring-action switch which you can push at the top, bottom, or sides to navigate through menus and select settings and such. It's been a good camera and I like it. Recently, pushing the left side of the switch (flower symbol side) has become non-functional. Can still feel the springiness of the switch just like before but there's no reaction otherwise indicated on with the camera as there should be. After explaining to Canon tech support the determination is that it would need to be repaired but that it is too old for them to repair or too costly to repair or something like that, which is pretty much what I expected them to tell me.

I noticed there's some small phillips head screws holding together the camera and that it looks as if one (an average guy with a screwdriver) was careful and paid attention to what they were doing they could carefully take it apart and maybe get access to however that switch is installed and replace it if they had a replacement. Or, maybe/probably not because there would be likely be much more involved or entail trying to unsolder/solder microcircuitry within. Maybe the only other feasible option might be to track down a camera repair outfit that might be able to fix it for a reasonable price? Canon told me they can offer me a refurbished new model Digital Elph model as an upgrade for about 85 bucks I think they said. But if I could fix up my old one for less than that, I'd rather.

Any comments/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-14, 08:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had one similar and had a button problem. Took it apart to see if I could fix. When it was apart i could make it work but every time I put it back together it would quit. Now in circler file.

Old 11-07-14, 09:06 AM
When you put it back together did everything else still work (except that side of the button, if it was just one side of the button like mine), or did the camera quit altogether after that? Mine's still fine, so far, everything else still works fine, except that one side of the button I talked about.

Old 11-07-14, 12:46 PM
I have to agree I have tried to take a camera apart to try to fix it and wound up getting rid of it as it just quit functioning. That was a film camera but I also had an HP camera that just would not take pictures anymore and I tried working with it too but I just wound up being frustrated and I put it on a shelf as the video part still works. I had called HP and I think they too gave me a deal for a trade in but the deal they gave me as I remember wasn't as good a deal as you would be getting. I know of a place in Washington D.C. you could send it to but it would cost you more than its worth.

Old 11-07-14, 01:05 PM
Okay. Thanks for the input hedgeclippers. The "deal" they offered me on a trade-in didn't particularly get me too excited. Not as excited as being able to possibly get mine fixed for less money, but that's probably too much to hope for, it seems.

Old 11-07-14, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
My first thought would be to buy a new camera. There are photo repair shops that could help but I think you're over $100 if you send it to anyone and you'd still have an old camera. Repair outside warranty is best left to cameras with higher value. Anything, even shipping costs, would exceed your camera's current street value.

Once you've decided that the camera is garbage then you can take it apart without guilt. It's probably just a membrane pad underneath the button so a cleaning might get it working again if you don't muck it up during disassembly. Lay out a big white towel before you start work and pay very careful attention to everything as you open it up. Hopefully the silicone button pad and membrane pads will be accessible early on in the disassembly without getting into the deeper parts of the camera.

Old 11-07-14, 03:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Been a long time ago but it I remember right it would not turn on.Take apart worked fine. Put together worked one time than nothing till apart again.

Old 11-07-14, 04:30 PM
With my luck I'd buy a new camera (figuring I'd just muck up my old one worse if tried fixing it myself), then be successful in taking apart my old camera and putting it back together and get it working again, then be "stuck" with an extra camera I don't need and wish I wouldn't have spent (wasted) the money for the new camera.

Or, I'd be unsuccessful trying to fix the old camera myself (ruin it even worse, or altogether, than just the one issue it has now, and wish I would've just left it alone) leaving me with the option of either buying a new camera or doing without a camera altogether.

Old 11-07-14, 06:56 PM
I suggest you look to e-bay for a good either used or refurbished camera. Both of my current more recent digital cameras my older Kodak and my Nikon came from e-bay sellers and both had camera shops but sold refurbished cameras online through e-bay. I would suggest an Easy Share Kodak digital camera and I found one something like mine but a bit different you might want to look at here is the link Kodak EasyShare CD82 12 4 MP Digital Camera Blue 41778023495 | eBay .

E-bay had many other Easy Share cameras that you might like and what I liked about these is that they had for the most part an adjustable lens something akin to DSLR cameras but much cheaper. I have also seen some older canons like your camera for a decent price here is one example Canon PowerShot Digital ELPH SD780 Is Digital IXUS 100 Is 12 1 MP Digital | eBay . I just bought a small Canon myself at a flea market and it takes decent pictures all I need to get for it is the charger.

Old 11-07-14, 07:17 PM
Thanks for those suggestions hedgeclippers. I'd been thinking along those lines too (in regard to looking to ebay) if the possibility of repairing my old one turns out to be an impractical idea in the long run. Thanks for the links to those two specific options I could consider, because I will be. One thing I'm looking for in a replacement camera is at least having the "macro" function (which I've now lost with my broken button, which is for close-up shots). I find that very useful. Appreciate the comments

Old 11-07-14, 11:42 PM
You are certainly welcome I am glad I could help. I have a couple more places to suggest one is Good Will online auctions and it supports the various Good Will Stores in the country and the other is called Propertyroom.com and if you guessed that Propertyroom.com involves the police you are right mainly police departments and different charities along with government agencies. Propertyroom.com started though to help police departments unload their property rooms and then expanded to what I mentioned and a few trusted sellers.

Like with any auction though it pays to read the description as some things are sold for parts only and some are untested and not returnable. Shop Goodwill has a big selection of digital cameras but you have to hunt through the selection here though is a link to their digital camera selection shopgoodwill.com - Categories . Now Propertyroom Digital & SLR Cameras Online Auction! Affordable Prices, Bidding starts at $1! | PropertyRoom.com . I have bought from both of these for various things and have had good deals. Good luck to you!

Old 11-08-14, 08:10 AM
Hedgeclippers I was was previously unaware of those other online auction sources you just mentioned/linked. Opens up even more possibilities for getting a good price/deal for a replacement camera, so thanks. Meanwhile I've decided to proceed with Pilot Dane's advice in second paragraph of post #6 here.

Old 11-08-14, 12:13 PM
It's probably just a membrane pad underneath the button so a cleaning might get it working again if you don't muck it up during disassembly. Hopefully the silicone button pad and membrane pads will be accessible early on in the disassembly without getting into the deeper parts of the camera.
I managed to get the cover removed without mucking anything up so far. It's apparent now that the silicone button pad and membrane pads are indeed accessible early on. Unable to take my own photo of it at the moment (because, well, we know why) the exact part(s) under discussion, (not my camera of course but one like it) can be seen beginning at the 3:42 of this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7vXKmm5090

I don't see anything obviously amiss or dirty in/around my silicone button and membrane pads. The spring action when I press on the particular part of the pad which would otherwise function (but stopped as per my issue) is fine too. It looks to me as if there's nothing further I'd be able to clean; that membrane pad(s) probably aren't removable and even if they possibly were I don't know how I'd go about doing any cleaning underneath. Probably about ready for the circular file?
Any further comment appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-09-14, 02:40 PM
I was thinking that maybe you wouldn't be able to get to the membrane as it looks like it is soldered down so no way to clean that. The only thing I can think of and then only if you are extremely lucky you might be able to find the circuit board as it looks like you could just replace that and then the whole camera will work again. I would suggest e-bay as about your only source and that can be tricky as the seller might have the board but it doesn't function for some reason once installed. Then is when the seller claims it was new or refurbished or you did something wrong in the install.

Cameras are very difficult to work with and a big hassle so unless the camera is a Dslr which your camera is not then I suggest you junk it. Unless it still has some function after opening it and then you can play with it some more until you finally decide to get rid of it. During my next cleaning spree I might get rid of my HP camera as it is just taking up space. Probably try to sell it for parts on e-bay as maybe someone can use something off of it.

Old 11-09-14, 03:56 PM
I found (and have ordered) another camera exactly like mine on ebay somebody was selling "for parts or repair" for $2.40 plus about 5 bucks shipping. It's a camera (doesn't power on) being sold for parts. Probably the on/off button or at least something else unrelated to my issue. I found a repair diagram and parts list online for this specific model camera and it looks as if the membrane part is just a part that's soldered onto another replaceable board that replaces by just removing two screws. I'll just replace that board and probably (hopefully) be good to go. So far at least since I've screwed the cover back on it still turns on and works fine otherwise (except of course the issue with the membrane button).

Old 11-10-14, 02:05 AM
Well you might just get lucky and find that it is just the lcd screen that is broken on the other camera and you can use the board off of the other camera. In any event you will not be out much money. I suggest when you take that apart to stay away from carpets and to put the tiny screws inside of a cap for say something like aspirin as once lost the screws may be hard to find if you will be able to find them. Well I look at it this way with your camera even if you don't fix it you have learned something. If you don't try something at least once you never learn anything. Let us know if you fix it.

Old 11-10-14, 08:52 AM
Well you might just get lucky and find that it is just the lcd screen that is broken on the other camera and you can use the board off of the other camera.
Yeah I might just get lucky. Actually here's the description from the seller for that other camera:
“This Canon PowerShot SD110 3.2 MP Silver Digital Camera is being sold AS IS for Parts or Repair because the camera does not power on. Cosmetically this camera can only be rated as being in fair condition because of the large number of places on the camera which are pitted. The LCD monitor is in very good condition and has a below average number of small scratches. The battery compartment is in good condition and the door fits correctly. I have been unable to resolve the "does not power on" problem and for that reason this camera is being sold "As Is"”

Here's a screenshot of a page of a repair/parts diagram I found online. Part #8 on the diagram, called the “operation key unit” looks (upon my examination) to be the part I'll need to replace, which is removable/replaceable with two screws:

In any event you will not be out much money.
$5.90.

I suggest when you take that apart to stay away from carpets and to put the tiny screws inside of a cap for say something like aspirin as once lost the screws may be hard to find if you will be able to find them.
Believe me I've already learned the hard way about that.

Well I look at it this way with your camera even if you don't fix it you have learned something.
Seems like it ends up more often than I'd like where I have to try to convince myself that's true whenever I don't fix stuff after spending a lot of time messing with it.

If you don't try something at least once you never learn anything.
A good motto for this website, I would say.

Let us know if you fix it.
Will do.

Old 11-10-14, 09:18 PM
Correction to that number in my post #13 here. Should be :57 (and not 3:42) in the video. The copper-colored board is the part.

Search this Thread