Nikon D40 Moisture Problem?

Old 02-27-15, 11:38 AM
Nikon D40 Moisture Problem?

I just recently bought a used Nikon D40 mainly to possibly sell at auction online on E-bay or maybe on Amazon.com. I also bought some Kodak point and shoot cameras online and began to test these for possible sale. The kodak's still had power from a charge and began to take pictures immediately.

My Nikon though needed charging and I had a Nikon charger already from a previous purchase of a Nikon D3000 I bought several years ago. I charged the cameras battery which took about an hour and then proceeded to test the camera.

Here is what happened after the charge I tried taking a picture with the sd card in the camera but it would not flash. I waited a while longer maybe about two hours more and the camera still would not flash. So I gave up on the camera had dinner watched tv for a while and many hours later finally it would flash but had on the screen flashing black marks.

This showed up in pictures I transferred to the computer as gray areas so it wasn't just the LCD. Finally I worked with the settings on the camera and changed a few settings and the flashing on the LCD screen went away. The transferred pictures looked fine too.

I think it was just a temporary moisture problem myself and between doing some adjustments and letting it warm up the camera is doing great so far. What I would like to know is do you agree with me and have you ever seen this same problem yourself? I also wonder if this problem happens mainly with Nikons or if other brands have the same problem? I also think it strange that the Kodaks worked immediately and not the Nikon.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-15, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Moisture.... maybe. Intermittent CCD..... possible.

Old 02-27-15, 06:44 PM
I was thinking the image sensor myself too so I also dried out the inside a bit with a Qtip. Not something you should do I know but it seemed to work along with other things I did. I kind of like the camera so I might even keep it as the D3000 is nice but it doesn't do video which I see the D40 will do if it works. I still will keep my D 3000 as it was refurbished and like new when I bought it.

One other thing I noticed too is that you can take a picture with the cameras DX lens in manual mode but not in automatic mode. So maybe those lenses came out after that camera was made I am not really sure. Otherwise though everything so far is working o.k. or it was the last time I checked. Thank you Pete for your thoughts on this.

Old 02-27-15, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Probably a good thing to keep the camera. Give it a good workout.

Old 02-27-15, 07:16 PM
Yeah I probably will but if I do sell it I will wait until the weather is warmer to sell it and make sure it is fully functional. Here is a picture I took I used Pixresizer so it would fit so the quality I am sure will have diminished some. Name:  DSC_0014 (752 x 500).jpg
Views: 41
Size:  30.4 KB Actually no it didn't diminish in quality.

The auto function now is fully functional today and this is the first time I have used the camera today. So I will wait and see how it does. By the way i know off topic but I just bought this marshmallow fluff and had a fluffernutter with peanut butter not bad either. I just heard about it on Facebook Thanks again!

Old 02-27-15, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Been years since I had PB and Fluff.

Search this Thread