360 cameras

Old 03-08-15, 08:09 PM
360 cameras

I've been looking at a few 360 cameras and I think I like the Giroptic 360cam most. But it seems most of them have not begun shipping out yet. Does anyone know the time frame when they might start shipping out? I couldn't find much info about it.

Also, these 360 cameras allow you to pan 360 degrees while viewing in playback but I was wondering if it's possible to just view one lense (to see only one angle/side) instead of having to see the whole thing all the time?

Sometimes the only thing I want from a 360 cam is the ability that it can record every angle without having to move the camera around or buying 2 or 3 more cameras. I don't really care for the panning around 360 degrees as much as simply the convenience of being to record every angle in one shot.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-15, 03:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Only the manufacturer can tell you about a release date. I know of no camera without an array of specially placed mirrors that can give you a 360 shot at one time......think IMAX. Even Google Earth vehicles use rotating cameras.

Old 03-09-15, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
With modern software I don't know why a special camera would be needed. Almost every software program these days includes the ability to automatically stitch photos together to create a panorama. I think not wanting to move the camera is a trivial inconvenience versus buying a piece of hardware that will soon become obsolete. I've don'e 360's with my DSL and cell phone just by standing in place and turning around while holding down the shutter button. 10 seconds you've got all the photos you need for a 360 degree photo and each image is available individually.

Old 03-09-15, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
I'm sure this is another security/surveillance doodad for the car.

I agree with PD, with mini cams as cheap as they are you could have 6 lenses in a cam and software will stitch the images together. Even my 8 y/o Canon S3 has somewhat that capability in the software, though it's limited to 5 shots. Basically 180 to 270 degrees or so.

Old 03-09-15, 10:43 PM
Yes, everything I'm asking about in this forum is regarding "security".

I do plan to use it for other things also. I'm not into taking "pictures", but video only. The reason is because with video, I can extract screen captures anytime I want. With pictures, that's more for a photographer who needs to be present and pick and choose their shots. I just want to press record and be gone lol (and know that it will capture every angle).

I see an incredible advantage and convenience to using cameras that have the capability to record 360 simultaneously. I've been thinking about buying 3 mobius cams (wide angle) and somehow arranging them into the same form factor as the Giroptic 360cam or any of those new 360 cams that have 3 cameras lenses. The only problem with this is I'd have to do a lot more legwork to stitch together all 3 clips every single time, and I'd have to turn on and off, start record on/off manually 3 times each time.

It will be a lot simpler to just press the power and record button once and have all 3 lenses capture video at once and put it together for me when I extract the video file onto my computer. Sadly, it seems that all of those companies are way behind on development and running into some issues with post-production which has delayed their shipment for some 1 to 2 years. I've been reading how many "backers" have already put down $250 to $1000 for these cameras as far back as 2 years ago. Wow. I can only imagine how angry some of them must be for having to wait that long and get very little updates from these builders about the release of these cameras. Many of them said it was shipping out last November, and then January of this year etc., but looks like they are not. Most believe June is optimistic but most likely early 2016.

The other neat thing about the 360 camera is being able to view it in Oculus Rift or any VR product that will also be coming out later on. It would be interesting to view things as if you were actually there again.

Anyways, I guess for now, I'm wondering if I should just go the Mobius Cam route? Since they are relatively cheap per unit, I could get 3 of them and just create some kind of tripod holder that will hold all 3 cameras? This part isn't for the car though. I want to use this for filming performances and such. That way, I don't need to move around with a single camera and miss the action. I can just sit it down, press record (3 times for each mobius) and then sit back and enjoy the show.

Old 03-10-15, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
I think the application for a 360 degree security camera is quite limited which is why you don't see many products specifically for it. I suppose if you placed the cameras on top of a post in the yard but then you've got the problem of displaying the image on a monitor. Yes, it can be done but does it yield an image that is useful? For cameras mounted in a ceiling there are lenses that can provide a full 360 coverage but even they suffer from poor image quality trying to display a 360 degree sphere on a flat screen. If you've ever looked at a panoramic photo displayed on a monitor you either have a short but very wide image or you can only see a small section at a time.